Color Case hardening on Colt SAA's
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Color Case hardening on Colt SAA's

Member #
    Liked
    12765 times
    Thanks Tim...!!

I think that if it was "chemically applied" I would have rubbed the finish offa it by now...

hehehe

WVCOLT, Colt-SL and Hopalong like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4636 times
    Found this that I had saved in my files from several years back..... See what you all think >>>>>>>

What is Color Case Hardening?

Color case hardening (sometimes referred to as case-hardening, case color hardening, or surface hardening) is a heat treating process and one of the earliest ways of hardening lower-grade steel. Originally, this process used bone charcoal heated to an exact temperature. Afterwards, the parts were removed from the furnace and quenched. The process leaves a hard surface finish and a layer of colored carbon with beautiful color variations. While the process is very controlled and the results are predictable, the exact color combination and pattern is unique to each firearm.
    This process is different from the potassium cyanide salt bath process, utilized by modern manufacturers in today's time. Colt actually had perfected the use of this original bone charcoal process many decades ago, and is still to this day known throughout the world as the original case hardening process that is second to none.
    Last edited by WVCOLT; 01-12-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    628 times
    I was sure that Colt has the real color case hardening on the SAA's, that is why I was so astonished about Joe Perkins statement that I had to post it here. Glad, that he is not right.
    Happy Trails
    Kid O'Folliard
    SASS life # 55314
    BDS Western # 625

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4636 times
    Agree my friend. I never knew Colt to go astray from this method at anytime throughout their gun making history.
    SHOOTER13, ei8ht and oldCop like this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24135 times
    As a chemist, saying that a case hardened SAA frame has not undergone a chemical transformation may not be exactly correct. The changes that are affected during the case-hardening procedure involves some chemical; some physical; and some mechanical changes to the metal surface. The process is quite complex.

Chemistry: The introduction of nitrogen forming nitrides

Physical: Changes in crystalline structure in the metal alloy

Mechanical: Changes in hardness at the metal surface
    Last edited by saintclair; 01-12-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2449 times
    As Saintclair mentions above, the physical and mechanical changes to the steel that has been case hardened are why one has to be extremely careful when trying to smooth the hammer & trigger surfaces on Smith & Wesson revolvers. It is all to easy to cut right through the hardening and what starts out as a nice feeling trigger will soon go away as the now softer metal starts to wear.
    Last edited by Walter Rego; 01-14-2020 at 07:34 AM.
    saintclair, jringo8769 and oldCop like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I don't know about the case hardening process, etc. However, your grips are Majestic, Mr. Dillon!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I commented on that thread at the time but didn't get a response. Only the Colt Cowboy was not bone and charcoal case hardened.
    Anyway there is no such animal as colored carbon. It's the thin layer of iron oxide giving interference colors. The phrase " colored carbon " keeps popping up. In this process the carbon keeps oxygen away from the iron until it hits the quench where it cools so rapidly that only a thin layer of oxide forms on the surface. While in the furnace of course carbon is dissolved into the iron to make high carbon steel but that doesn't create the color.

Member #
    Liked
    2190 times
    Not a chemical treatment. A true case hardening is a heat treatment process.
    "In Africa, the saying goes, 'In the bush, an Elephant can kill you, a leopard can kill you, and a Black Mamba can kill you. But only with the Mamba is death sure.'Hence its handle, 'Death Incarnate." -Kill Bill vol 2 (Tarantino,2004)

Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    This, is chemically treated finished frame

IMG_0703.jpg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links