Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Color Case hardening on Colt SAA's

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23685 times
    Overall, I found Joe Perkin's write-up to be quite educational. His information should be valuable to prospective single action buyers.
    dallascowboy and ei8ht like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Rego View Post
    As Saintclair mentions above, the physical and mechanical changes to the steel that has been case hardened are why one has to be extremely careful when trying to smooth the hammer & trigger surfaces on Smith & Wesson revolvers. It is all to easy to cut right through the hardening and what starts out as a nice feeling trigger will soon go away as the now softer metal starts to wear.
    Got my first S&W K22 Masterpiece in 1958...….bought a new hammer for it in 1964 after trying to "gild the lily" with an Arkansas stone. Expensive lesson, but I did learn!
    saintclair, ei8ht and Don Kenna like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23685 times
    Years ago, a local 'gunsmith' messed up a lot of S&W revolvers by removing the hardened contact surfaces in doing his 'action jobs.
    oldCop, ei8ht and Don Kenna like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1338 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    Overall, I found Joe Perkin's write-up to be quite educational. His information should be valuable to prospective single action buyers.
    It is educational, but unfortunately wrong in more places than just that. His opinion on the guns is worthwhile, but it's also just an opinion.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    606 times
    @bighipiron, can you concretize, what else is wrong in his write-up?
    Happy Trails
    Kid O'Folliard
    SASS life # 55314
    BDS Western # 625

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dallascowboy View Post
    @bighipiron, can you concretize, what else is wrong in his write-up?
    https://classicsingleaction.com/opinion
    "This notch is fragile and could break if the firearm was dropped on the hammer. This could cause the revolver to fire. There are no known incidents of this happening,...."

I believe this was proven wrong in 1874 but I can't find a good historical internet reference other than below...

https://americanhandgunner.com/handg...e-action-army/
    "the famous 7th Cavalry received their new Colt .45 revolvers in the summer of 1874 in time to take them along on their expedition to explore the Black Hills of what is now South Dakota. At least one trooper had a stirrup fall and hit the hammer of his new Colt revolver, causing it to discharge. He was fatally wounded in the process."

Member #
    Liked
    409 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjt72 View Post
    I swear I answered this question before. Yes, Colt's color case is the same process as it has always been. Bone and charcoal case hardening like they perfected all those years ago. The process hasn't changed much over the past other than Colt had to adjust slightly when the manufacture of bone chips decided that since Colt was the only company using a certain size bone chip that they would stop making it and only make one size, which was smaller chips. Which did throw a wrench in the process for a bit as it changed the color profiles etc. I also know that Doug Turnbull and Standard Mfg use true bone and charcoal color case hardening processes.

Brent
    Thanks Brent! Yep, you have answered before, but thanks for providing insight again! Best wishes and hope all is well.
    ei8ht, oldCop and Fortibus55 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    I'm just wondering....despite Brent's, who should know if anyone does, being gentleman enough to respond, how many more times this will come up in the future because "someone heard or read on the internet". Maybe Brent's post should be a sticky! That would save a lot of bandwidth!

Member #
    Liked
    10398 times
    This'll keep coming up so long as 'some guy in a gunshop', or 'the internet said' is discovered by someone who can't or won't do the homework, and decides to seek consensus, or crowdsource the questions burning in their mind - after all, it's easier to ask than do the work on one's own.

'And' it'll come up when someone gets bored and wants to stir things up a bit - just to see who bites...

On the C&WAS forums, it's called 'Cabin Fever', when they're being charitable - an for the same reasons.
    oldCop likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2388 times
    Just cuz nobody has as yet posted a couple pictures to compare between the two process results.
    Capture.JPG
    Colt Cowboy / Manufactured 2002
    Buntline.JPG
    Colt Buntline / Manufactured 1981
    (Sorry, this photo just a bit blurry but still
    shows the difference fairly well.)
    Last edited by Fortibus55; 01-21-2020 at 08:43 PM.
    bighipiron and Cozmo like this.
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links