Value thoughts: 1885 engraved nickel w/ ivory stocks & Colt letter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Value thoughts: 1885 engraved nickel w/ ivory stocks & Colt letter

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Value thoughts: 1885 engraved nickel w/ ivory stocks & Colt letter

Anybody have any thoughts about the value of this 1885 45 Colt SAA?

The bore is good, lockup good, nickel not great, engraving and stocks good. Been searching online and have not sussed out a value on this one. Any comments or ideas are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WVCOLT, Rick and LEO918 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Don't see too many factory engraved, factory carved ivories and Texas-shipped guns in that kind of condition...especially with a letter.
    Unless somebody did a very high quality fake then then that gun is worth $$$$$. You buying or selling?

There are folks on here that can make better comments as to the gun's finish (or refinish) and the engraving. Looks great to me!
    Last edited by ersiii; 01-14-2020 at 09:58 PM.
    WVCOLT likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2717 times
    I'm no expert but should the 4 on the barrel caliber marking look like that? Also I would think that the grips if original as shipped would have shrunk and yellowed more.
    I’d rather be in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3653 times
    If you are considering buying the colt as an original factory engraved single action I would tread very lightly if it is being sold as original.
    You wouldn't have a 45 colt barrel marking on an originally shipped in 1885 dated shipped single action.
    The caliber marking was marked on the front left triggerguard bow up until around the year 1890 and the front sight of this gun appears to be a little higher than normal.
    Is there any way to get a good clear picture of the serial numbers on the gun?
    The stocks are not vintage carved stocks.
    I know of 3 other single actions in this specific shipment on this date. In the 95,000 111,000 and 113,000 serial ranges.
    From what I can see in those pictures, either you have an original factory engraved gun that has had the engraving re-cut / refreshed with added engraving that wasn't done very well or you have a gun that has been fabricated from scratch with a serial number that letters as a factory engraved single action.
    If you can get pictures of the serial numbers that might tell more of the story.
    Always interested in adding nice, original or interesting pre 1940 single actions to my private collection. Contact me via PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1581 times
    Nothing about that gun looks right to me.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times
    My first thoughts were this looks fake or not right....engraving looks weird...grips are poorly done and do not fit gun well
    Maybe I am all wrong but does not look factory done
    At least not at Colt Factory
    I would pass for sure
    No matter what the letter states
    Wonder if the letter is fake too?
    I wonder if someone got this missing parts and restored it to back to original?
    God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    MarkInTx and WVCOLT like this.
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Member #
    Liked
    478 times
    The consensus appears to be forming that this colt may not be what it purports to be, but if it is real, it is valuable. You did not say whether it is yours, but If you need to know originality and value , it should be examined by a trusted person whose opinion, if real, will validate provenance and value. Board members can supply names.
    jringo8769 and WVCOLT like this.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    2045 times
    I am 99% certain this is not factory original. Among other things than already pointed out:

The two line barrel address marking is unlike any I've seen before. Many differences when compared to known correct examples. For example, the apostrophe in "Colt's" is not like any others I've seen before, the F in Hartford is different than known examples. Spacing different, etc.

The filler areas are circles that are executed in a sloppy fashion, atypical of quality factory work.

The barrel, as pointed out, should not contain a calibre marking in this era. Later, they were marked with a roll die and, therefore, the "4" should be in perfect alignment with other numbers and letters.

The general pattern of the engraving differs in several aspects in style from known examples I've researched.

Member #
    Liked
    16358 times
    With a gun of this importance, if it's being offered as original, one wrong part (like the barrel) questions the authenticity of the entire piece. The metal condition, even if a gray gun, looks too uniform for a 135 year old Colt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    2600 times
    Listen to these guys^^^^
    WVCOLT, Rick, jringo8769 and 1 others like this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    ." --

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links