• 2 Post By victorio1sw

Thread: Seeking Copy of Magazine Article About An Interesting Cavalry Colt

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    861 times

Seeking Copy of Magazine Article About An Interesting Cavalry Colt

Several years ago, I read an article about an interesting Cavalry Colt that was found in the rafters of an old barracks building when it was being torn down. As I recall, the article was in a 1980s or 1990s copy of Man at Arms Magazine. Iíve looked but haven't been able to locate this information again.

The article describes how a soldier apparently hid his Colt Cavalry revolver in the rafters of his barracks building before he deserted sometime during the late 1800s. Many years later, the gun was discovered when the building was being torn down. (I think this happened at Fort Huachuca, AZ, but arenít 100 percent sure.) The article described the events leading up to this discovery, and has several photos of the gun.

Iím hoping that another forum member may recall this article and post a copy here. Thanks!

Rusty Edwards
    ei8ht, Rick and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1089 times
    Contact Man at arms, 1-800-999-4697 or www.gunandswordcollector.com. Stuart Mowbray is the editor.
    I don't know much but at least I know that much.

Member #
    Liked
    9666 times
    I read about it too but not in that magazine.
    krag96 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1030 times
    I read it too...but I thought it was in a book. The ex-soldier of the 1880s visited his old barracks in the 1920s before they were scheduled to tear them down. He looked in the rafters of the building he thought was his barracks for his Colt that he hid there but couldnt find it. Then decided to go to the next barracks, where he found it right where he hid it. I'll check my books when I get back home later in the week.
    Last edited by dandak; 01-21-2020 at 03:40 PM.
    Ruster, CHIZ and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    The grandson (I think he was the grandson) of the soldier wrote the article for "The American Rifleman". The soldier had wrapped the revolver in an oily rag and hid it in the rafters of his barracks the day before the troops were to exchange their .45s for .38s. Turns out another soldier deserted that night and the "missing" SAA was attributed to theft by the deserter. The soldier (the one who hid the gun that is) eventually left the service (and also left the gun in the rafters), but many years later, like 20 or so, he was a small time contractor who won the bid to paint the barracks at his old fort. While painting away one day he suddenly remembered the hidden Colt and went to retrieve it (after he remembered which building it was in) while the troops were at lunch. It was still there in the rafters. The author of the article had a photo of his grandfather posing in uniform with his holstered Colt and a trapdoor Springfield. Maybe this info also popped up in some other publication, but I do remember the Rifleman article.
    RDS, Ruster, superdave269 and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    554 times
    Great story. I would love to see a picture of that gun.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9666 times
    Where is the gun now? Is it known?
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2462 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruster View Post
    Several years ago, I read an article about an interesting Cavalry Colt that was found in the rafters of an old barracks building when it was being torn down. As I recall, the article was in a 1980s or 1990s copy of Man at Arms Magazine. Iíve looked but haven't been able to locate this information again.

The article describes how a soldier apparently hid his Colt Cavalry revolver in the rafters of his barracks building before he deserted sometime during the late 1800s. Many years later, the gun was discovered when the building was being torn down. (I think this happened at Fort Huachuca, AZ, but arenít 100 percent sure.) The article described the events leading up to this discovery, and has several photos of the gun.

Iím hoping that another forum member may recall this article and post a copy here. Thanks!

Rusty Edwards
    I definitely recall reading that interesting article. The trooper's surname was Rasmussen. He had a low opinion of Wyatt Earp while stationed in AZ. Much later, in the Philippines, Rasmussen told of using that 45 x 7-1/2" Colt to bring down a drug-crazed Moro, after others shot him repeatedly with the 38 Colt DA's. Shortly before being mustered out at Fort Riley, KS, Rasmussen wrapped his old Colt in a greasy rag and stuck it in the rafters of his barracks. To his surprise, many years later Rasmussen found his old Colt friend still hidden in that building. It had acquired some rust spots, but was still fairly well preserved (considering the wild swings in temperature in an un-aircondioned building). I want to think the article was in the American Rifleman.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 01-22-2020 at 10:20 PM.
    krag96 and feralmerril like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links