Colt Bisley
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Colt Bisley

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Colt Bisley

I am trying to find information on a pistol my stepdad gave me. It is a Colt 44-40. Under trigger guard is stamped SAB902. From what i can find on internet this is a Colt Bisley but i have no idea on year.Looking for some help on identifying.
    20200122_200603.jpg20200122_200513.jpg20200122_200554.jpg20200122_200535.jpg
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    It looks like a reproduction that someone put a colt barrel on.
    krag96 and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    It may say COLT, but I'm not sure that's what it is. Others will know more.
    krag96 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2847 times
    What you have is not a Colt product. None of the parts appear to be Colt. The SAB may stand for "Single Action Bisley". Maybe an Italian copy?
    krag96 and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    It appears to be an older reproduction made by EMF but the barrel doesn't look original.

Edit: It is an EMF copy. It has the same style of serial (SAB503) as this one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842105584

I owned one in the past but sold it because the grip frame had a more pronounced hump than a real Colt Bisley or a Uberti copy.
    Last edited by Agarbers; 01-22-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    krag96, MarkInTx and victorio1sw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    846 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarbers View Post
    It looks like a reproduction that someone put a colt barrel on.
    I would agree, also I dont see the VP mark on the trigger guard and the trigger itself doesnt look right.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6237 times
    To the best of my sometimes faulty memory the letters SA were never used on the original Colt Bisley ser. #'s.Bisley production was discontinued in 1914 @ ser.# 329,500 & the use of SA on serial #'s didn't start until 1956.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the help. I didnt think the barrel looked right and trigger and guard didnt either. My step dad was a gun fanatic so I figured he may have pieced one together. He was a good machinist. He even built a few guns.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7671 times
    From an Old Post of mine...:

"Those were not real Colts. That company was the predecessor to EMF of Today, currently owned by BoydDavis, a/k/a/ General Grant, SASS President and Wild Bunch Member. I did a history on the company about 4 years ago I think here on the Forum. The company would buy barrels sometimes cylinders from Colt or parts from Christys and assemble them on Italian frames. I will search and see If I can find the old post."

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt...-you-pick.html
    krag96 likes this.
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    13274 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sopris View Post
    From an Old Post of mine...:

"Those were not real Colts. That company was the predecessor to EMF of Today, currently owned by BoydDavis, a/k/a/ General Grant, SASS President and Wild Bunch Member. I did a history on the company about 4 years ago I think here on the Forum. The company would buy barrels sometimes cylinders from Colt or parts from Christys and assemble them on Italian frames. I will search and see If I can find the old post."

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt...-you-pick.html
    cylinder pin on that bisley looks not all the way in or maybe an Italian safety that blocks the hammer when shoved in all the way. I trimmed the back of one of those and it looks like a colt now when put in all the way but not blocking the hammer anymore. Here's pics from those ads i had in that old post from "Early & Modern Firearms" (E&M). I don't know if their Bisleys are original but separate type frames made up like the Colt Bisley. You can't see if there's patent dates on the left side of the frames. though.

Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 01-23-2020 at 08:19 AM.
    krag96 and Kid Sopris like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links