Trying to learn something today...........
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By jringo8769
  • 2 Post By dandak
  • 2 Post By saintclair
  • 2 Post By Mikebiker
  • 2 Post By Some guy
  • 3 Post By papalondog

Thread: Trying to learn something today...........

Member #
    Liked
    72 times

Trying to learn something today...........

Been keeping an eye out for a Second Generation, Shooter-grade Colt SAA. Based the the results of my 100% totally unscientific, completely uncontrolled and exceedingly brief survey of sites offering these guns for sale, it seems to me the .45 LC gun sells at a premium (assuming similar condition, barrel length and age characteristics) to all other calibers, 44 Spl, .357, etc.

Is there any real reason for that? Is it simply the "cool factor" of the Colt .45?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Please help an old man go to bed tonight knowing just a little bit more than he did when he woke up this morning.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    1349 times
    Well it seems that some calibers will command more dollars depending on how many were made
    The 45 seem to get a little more versus the 44 special or even the 38 special too
    I think a lot is what people they think is the best ...i personally love the 44 special caliber and even the 38 special as they are so nice to shoot and reload for
    But remember this....there is always deals out there no matter what some may sat
    With this kind of stuff
    Patience is key and do not hesitate when you find deal
    God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jringo8769; 01-24-2020 at 06:55 AM.
    huskerbob likes this.
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Member #
    Liked
    1029 times
    Supply or demand? Well, in the case of the SAA the 45 is in more demand, even though other calibers may be not as common. Same with the 1873 Winchester. Far more 44WCFs made than the other calibers, but the 44WCF brings the premium. In the 1886 Winchester its the same...45-70 is common but is in higher demand than the 40-82s, 38-56, etc.
    jringo8769 and huskerbob like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24154 times
    In my experience with collecting 2nd gen SAA's, the 44 special usually sells for the most simply due to the fact that so few were made. Finding a 7-1/2" nickel plated 44 special still in the original Colt Black Box would be 'quite a prize.' In fact, I have only seen pictures of nickel plated 2nd gen 44 specials. No originals have ever 'crossed my path' at local gun shows and gun shops.
    huskerbob and jringo8769 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1707 times
    45 Colt was the original chambering and was and always will be the favorite caliber in a Single Action Colt unless you view it as a collector and are looking for the rarest combination. It is an old west associated gun and the 44 Special and 357 Magnum did not exist at that time in history.
    22Flattop and jringo8769 like this.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    Maybe a lot of folks when buying the first colt saa make a good choice that it should be .45 colt and that keeps the price up ?. Could be other calibers are for their second choice gun and get picky on condition? Condition to condition , I'd pay more for the .44 spl.
    jringo8769 and huskerbob like this.
    All injuries to pride are self inflicted.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I have my first SAA on the way. It is a 5 1/2" 44 Special case hardened/blue LNIB picked up. I wanted a 44 Spl. because of the S&W 44 Spl's I have and have both new ammo and reloading supplies purchased. The 45's are readily available in most configuration, just a matter of $$. I really would have like a 4 3/4 inch gun, but the 5 1/2 showed up and I couldn't refuse the price. In my very limited experience the 44 specials are much harder to find. I was looking at 3rd generation only though.
    Lonnie

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links