COLT 2nd Gen Pair
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: COLT 2nd Gen Pair

Member #
    Liked
    43 times

COLT 2nd Gen Pair

I recently acquired a consecutively numbered cased pair of new and apparently unfired, 7 1/2 bbl., .45 cal. SAA. Beautiful guns - no pics yet. I have a question about the serial numbers which are only 4 digits and have an "AM" suffix. These numbers only appear on the bottom of the steel frame where it meets the brass trigger guard. As I recall didn't the serial numbers appear of both sides of the frame & trigger guard? Weren't they also stamped on the side plate & sometime on the cylinder? My major question is what does the "AM" represent? Owning a couple of Italian COLT SAA replicas I had to see how closely they come to the originals. Thanks to all for forum participation. Ed Gaulin
    ColtPlinkerton likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1484 times
    Colt Single Actions are always stamped with the serial number on the bottom of the frame, never on the side. They have no sideplate and never had a brass trigger guard. ???
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    2850 times
    Ed - Your guns are Colt 125th Anniversary Models. Serial numbers ranged from 1AM to 7390AM. They were produced in 1961. Originally the barrel, cylinder and frame were blue; the hammer, trigger, back strap and trigger guard were gold plated. Small parts (screws, base pin, ejector rod) were a mixture of gold and blue finishes. The left side of the barrel was marked "-125th ANNIVERSARY - S.A.A. Model .45 CAL.-". Stocks were walnut with gold-plated Colt medallions and they were shipped in a wood presentation case with Colt circular logo pressed into the outside of the top and red cloth interior with Colt logo in gold inside the lid.
    (The above information is from "The Colt Commemoratives 1961-1986" by Ken Condry and Larry Jones (Taylor Publishing, 1989.)
    If the finish of your guns differs from the description above, then they have been refinished somewhere along the line. Some consecutively numbered pairs were produced and shipped in a double gun case similar to that described above. These guns seem to be favorites for refinishing and engraving since they are true 2nd generation SAAs. I have two of these which have been refinished, one in full blue and the other was fully engraved with gold inlays by FEGA Master Engraver Kenny Majors. Both of mine have the serial numbers stamped on the left sides of the trigger guards and grip frames under the stocks in addition to the numbers on the bottom of the frames.
    - -Bruce
    Last edited by Buckspen; Yesterday at 12:05 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    Souonds like a pair of 125th Anniversary Commemoratives from 1961. The serial nos on those had the "AM" for Anniversary Model. The triggerguard and backstrap should be gold plating over nickle.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23730 times
    Lots of Colt collectors buy these AM versions and have them engraved. Having a consecutive pair is a plus!
    Mikebiker and Pathfinder106 like this.

Member #
    Colorado in the summer and Arizona in the winter
    Liked
    498 times
    I was lucky enough to acquire a consecutive numbered pair of these about 15 years ago. My wife (bless her!) made me send them to Nutmeg for one-piece ivories and to Turnbull for a "1st gen" refinish. Gold plating was stripped and bluing removed, then cylinder was beveled, frame and barrel re-marked, frame case hardened, and the rest carbona blued. Since then I have used them for cowboy action shooting and those few "in the know" drool over them. (click on pics to enlarge)

SAAs Turnbull pair 001c.jpg SAAs Turnbull pair 003.JPG SAAs Turnbull pair 014.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    I had a pair of those 125th Anniversary SAAs. Had them engraved and one piece style ivories on them. The engraver liked the fact that the frames weren't case hardened. Shot them in SASS matches for years.
    ersiii and Pathfinder106 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    954 times
    I have a consecutive pair full engraved by Valade blued, TG & BS silver plated, w/gold plated hammer trigger and screws. IMG_0272.jpgIMG_0275.jpgIMG_0277.jpg

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    954 times
    Also have one that appears unfired but gold was worn from handling. So had the gold replaced with nickle.IMG_2845.jpgIMG_2846.jpgIMG_2850.jpgIMG_2851.jpg
    Pathfinder106 and jringo8769 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Many thanks to all respondents. You guys always seem to come through with the kind of detailed information we all seem to want. I for one am extremely pleased to know a lot more about these two beautiful Colts. EHG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links