Colt Single Action 1891 Cavalry
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Colt Single Action 1891 Cavalry

Member #
    Liked
    1415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    I'm thinking about what replacing a part does to a gun. To use some car terms, using OEM to replace a non original part is a good thing. Especially if it's a normal wear item. It seems there is a strata of what is likely to be replaced in an old US service gun, in order of likelyhood:

1. The original holster - not really issued with one, the first would likely be with the gun for only a few months or years, until lost or swapped with another.
    2. The original lanyard, magazine (for 1911s), and other accouterments - would likely be lost or swapped in a year or two
    3. Normal wear items, like springs and cylinder pins - would likely be replaced sometime in the service life of the gun, 10-20 years, if it is heavily used (issued).
    4. Commonly broken items, like hammer spurs and notches, that were available in the spare parts inventory - would occasionally be replaced, probably about every 100-200 guns, depending on who carried it, how careful they were to avoid dropping it, if it was in a harsh environment.
    5. Rarely damaged items, like barrels and grips - would rarely be replaced.

So to me, items 1-4 are just the norm for service guns. Back to the car analogy, I'm sure an original paint, tires, and brakes Model T is more valuable than one that has new OEM parts. But it's going to be exceedingly rare to find something "never used" that old. You would have to find a "time capsule" that was put into a box, lost from the US inventory, or sent to a Post that never let anyone check them out.
    That makes a lot of sense. I know the 1911 I carried in my Army days had many parts replaced. Heck, I doubt anything in that gun was original save for perhaps the frame and slide. And I am not even sure those parts matched. Same can be said for my m16, M60, etc. In service, you use what works and try to keep it working.
    chrometank and Pathfinder106 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1595 times
    Of course we do not know what parts may have been replaced during the guns period of use as a Cavalry revolver. If they are the correct parts, with the proper appearance of wear, as collectors we can assume the parts are original. Fair enough I believe. No one can prove otherwise.

Where we have absolute proof that a 130 year old gun has had parts replaced in the past couple of years, that is a different matter than the mere possibility of a gun having had a part replaced during its historic use as a Cavalry revolver.

Member #
    Liked
    10740 times
    I'm going to point out something entirely different...

Look closely at the one-piece grips, and how they are shaped and mate with the frame and strap contours.

'That' is what the grips on a SAA are supposed to look like - not undersized, not 'proud' - but closely fitted to the piece.

Many, many modern grips are given a cursory fitting and that's that, but 'back in the day' - as well as when in the hands of an experienced fitter - SAA grips were basically seamless to the touch - as they should be.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4575 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    I'm going to point out something entirely different...

Look closely at the one-piece grips, and how they are shaped and mate with the frame and strap contours.

'That' is what the grips on a SAA are supposed to look like - not undersized, not 'proud' - but closely fitted to the piece.

Many, many modern grips are given a cursory fitting and that's that, but 'back in the day' - as well as when in the hands of an experienced fitter - SAA grips were basically seamless to the touch - as they should be.
    i could be wrong and well...this is the internet so ill know soon enough, weren’t the grips filed “across the frame” which made the closest wood to metal fit possible, then the metal finished? Hence everything being numbered.
    2horses and tdennis like this.
    All SAA work. Check out my webpage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    AWESOME PISTOL!
    CONGRATS!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    10740 times
    Yes - final finishing was done after the grips were fitted.
    2horses and LeverActionBill like this.

Member #
    Liked
    285 times
    What a wonderful old SAA!
    2horses and Mikebiker like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Very nice!
    Mikebiker likes this.

jrm

Member #
    Liked
    373 times
    Both classic and iconic !
    Colt-SL and Mikebiker like this.

Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Outstanding revolver. You have done it a great service involving great personal expense and patient perseverance. Well done.
    Mikebiker likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links