Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Action Work & Grips

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Action Work & Grips

Hey All...

I'm sure these questions have been asked before but be patient as I have a NEW Colt and have little experience in modifications on Colt SAA. I do have all types of guns(including owning a few Colt SAA) and had a few Class III guns in the past but want some information for a "newby" such as myself!!!

I have a brand new Blue Colt SAA-3rd Gen that's never been shot...yet. About 2 months old new in the box and I'm itching to shoot it.

ABOUT ME:

As with all my guns I clean them immediately after I shoot them....a basic field strip and cleaning, light oil, wipe off and put them away for the next event. Usually once to twice a year I will totally strip the firearm and make sure the entire gun is clean and in working condition. It depends on how long the gun has sat in the safe, but usually, I will lightly oil before I go shooting.

This Colt SAA will be a "range" only gun and be shot maybe 3-4 times a year with each shooting/event about 50-100, rounds of factory 45LC ammo used then cleaned.

1st Question. When shooting lead should the last 15-20 rounds be copper jacket to help blow out the lead and help in cleaning? I have heard this from several guys and read about it but never have I done this with my other firearms. I feel I get the lead and copper out just fine but I see and hear that it helps with the Colt SAA.

2nd Question. I know I need to at least or maybe fire 200-500 rounds to see if I need this..."Action Work". I read and hear that it is good and helps your Colt SAA but the little shooting I will be doing is it necessary or should I have this done to "improve" my Colt? Same as "Forcing Cone" work...does this help and would be an improvement on my Colt? Simple action work and forcing cone is ALL I would do.

Question 1 & 2 is just for longevity and maintenance on my Colt. NO Cowboy Action Shooting, NO fast or hard use shooting, just some range fun or out in the rural area of Oklahoma shooting beer and whiskey bottles off a wooden fence post on my farm.

3rd Question. Now that you know my Colt shooting style would a "Spring Kit" be the best for me? OR would just leaving it alone and completely stock..as is...be what's called for in my case.

4th Question. Has anyone used Joe Perkins/Classic Single Action for the services...question 1-3...that I am inquiring about? Any other gunsmiths that do an excellent job you'd recommend???

Grips:

I use to think I wanted Ivory and in the past talked to Jim at Nutmeg Sports but never went through with it.

1st Question. Sambar...REAL Sambar. Who do you recommend? I don't and won't(because I think I'll screw it up) do my own custom fitting so should I send the gun to the grip maker? What is the care method for Sambar?

2nd Question. Giraffe Bone who do you recommend? Pro and Con on giraffe bone?

3rd Question. Stay away from "animal" grips and stick with plastic and wood??

4th Question. Has anyone used Joe Perkins/Classic Single Action for grips and inlay on their Colts? I'm really starting to like ebony with the snake/man with no name inlay design. https://classicsingleaction.com/antique-finish
    Any other grip makers/dealers you'd recommend?

Thank you for your help and recommendations!!! I want this thread to be honest and positive recommendations, suggestions, and answers. Be honest and informative with answers so that I may learn and become empowered with your knowledge and suggestions!!! I know that I'm asking about "Apples and Oranges" but I want a starting point and to be able to have resources!!!

Thanks!!

Cohiba

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Cohiba,

I can't answer all of your questions, but I'm a retired gunsmith who has spent a lot of years working on SAA's. Given what you're going to do with this revolver, I see no "need" to do anything at all.

A spring kit - Absolutely non-invasive modification that anyone can do and undo. If you do, just keep the original stuff. Spring kit will make thumbing the hammer back a little easier, and could improve trigger pull.

Trigger work - If there is an abundance of creep in the trigger, you may at some point want to address that; but it's more personal preference.

Forcing cone - Unless you need absolute nats-azz accuracy, this is a waste of time. If you cast your own bullets, and really want to milk out every last bit of accuracy, then perhaps. But I'll tell you, it costs me NOTHING to do forcing cones, and I don't bother to do it on my revolvers...but that's just me.

Grips - I have owned sambar stag in the past and while the look fantastic, I have yet to have a set that really felt "right" on the revolver. I have elephant ivory on one of my guns and if I had to do it all over, I would just buy some of the better quality synthetic ivory. The better synthetics actually look better, feel is even the same, and of course cost much less. My favorite grips for the SAA are the factory hard rubber; but that's just me.

Leading & jacketed bullets - I can remember a time when people would tell you that was a no-no. But after inspecting a bore with a borescope after shooting jacketed following lead; I say its the best way to clean out your bore. If you're really anal about it, you will still have some leading, but it will be FAR less, and way easier to remove.

As for full detail cleaning - Taking the gun apart on a regular basis will cause its own "wear"; so just be aware of that.

I'm jealous...I'm SAA-less at the moment, and I wish I had your problems.
    phyllis1, Ugly and Bullet Bob like this.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Just getting started with the SAA's myself but can address your leading question from experience.
    Years ago a buddy of mine and I shot thousands of rounds through 44 magnums. When we were done
    shooting the lead bullets we always fire a cylinder or two of jacketed bullets. IT HELPS TREMENDOUSLY.
    Lonnie

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    513 times
    I can speak to Joe Perkins at Classic Single Action. He does FANTASTIC grips work. I've had him do 1 piece wood on about 4 of my guns and they all turned out perfect, way better than anybody else I tried. I also had him do action jobs on a couple of guns and he does great work! His prices are also very reasonable. And he's a really nice guy to boot!
    CHIZ likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10720 times
    For every 'new-to-me' piece that comes into my hands - where new or used - I detail-strip 'everything', clean and re-lube it prior to firing, and while I'm at it, I'll look for burring or roughness and will stone it away.

This allows me to start fresh, knowing I don't have solidified detritus lurking somewhere.

In the case of your questions, 'I' would first do that, then, I'd run around 500 rounds through it before I would check trigger pull and action smoothness - in 500 rounds, you learn quite a bit about both the piece, as well as how 'you' handle it, so it's money well-spent in shooting and accuracy work.

The SAA is not the tack driver that an adjustable-sighted weapon can be, but it is accurate, so do a bit of measured-distance shooting from the bench to verify your sight picture, and pay attention to the basics of pistol marksmanship so you have something to measure against.

Accuracy can markedly change with various loads, and that's where consistency pays off.

For 'my' preference, I shoot the .45 S&W load because that's what the original military load was, and because it behaves exactly like .45 ACP - and I have a cylinder for that round, as well.

This is what 'I' do - others may do something different, but this is simple and pays off for 'me'.
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Joe Perkins worked on a SAA I own. The grips are amazing! The action is the best I’ve handled! I highly recommend his work.
    CHIZ likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    553 times
    As to your grip question, Stags!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    veeman and coondawg like this.
    "In sun and shade, be sure by your friends. Never swing a mean loop. Never do dirt to man nor animal" The Cowboy Code.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24705 times
    I will answer one question with my preference. I would opt for the giraffe bone for the grips.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    I will answer one question with my preference. I would opt for the giraffe bone for the grips.

I totally agree! Have Joe Perkins do an action job and the giraffe bone grips. He has done tons of work for me and all it top quality.
    CHIZ likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4092 times
    If it functions well- I would pretty much leave it alone, if it needs a tune up Jim Martin or Lever action Bill would be the men to contact.

To much working over on new guns can lead to disaster, Colt SAA's a'int cheap anymore. If I am buying one I would prefer "stock" condition much as possible most times.

I like Black Eagle grips. Of course, what you do with your new Colt, stock to no limit- is up to you.

Welcome to the Colt forum!
    Last edited by Ugly; 02-06-2020 at 01:30 PM.
    superdave269 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links