• 1 Post By victorio1sw

Thread: .45 LC Bore Diameter

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    919 times

.45 LC Bore Diameter

Can someone who has this off the top of their head, share with me what the bore diameter measurement should be for a 1st Gen .45 Long Colt? I assume it should be measured at the barrel inside the frame?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    victorio1sw likes this.
    sumthin_nu

Member #
    Liked
    6090 times
    From the webz:
    "Prior to World War II, the .45 Colt used a groove diameter of .454"; post-WWII production adopted the .452" groove diameter of the .45 ACP. From 1924 through 1940, a small number of Single Actions in the pistol caliber .45 ACP were produced. Colt's record lists several Single Actions chambered for the .45 Colt cartridge and being accompanied by an extra cylinder for the .45 ACP.[37]"
    Member MLV will most certainly know...nevertheless, .451/.452 bullets should be safe to shoot in all generations, but accuracy 'may' suffer, or it may not.
    sumthin_nu and MarkInTx like this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    919 times
    Thank you. I am not concerned about which bullets to shoot, but rather what the diameter of the bore was supposed to be in a pre-war SAA. I think you've given me that, and I appreciate you!
    sumthin_nu

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    I think 1st gen bores were .454. 2nd and 3rd are .451.
    sumthin_nu likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2845 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sumthin_nu View Post
    Can someone who has this off the top of their head, share with me what the bore diameter measurement should be for a 1st Gen .45 Long Colt? I assume it should be measured at the barrel inside the frame?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    1873 to 1910 the bore dia was 0.451" (these bores are more hexagonal than round, between the narrow lands). After that it was increased to about 0.453" with round segments between wider lands.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 02-05-2020 at 06:07 PM.
    sumthin_nu likes this.

Sponsored Links