SAA shipment date vs year of manufacture
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: SAA shipment date vs year of manufacture

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xitnet View Post
    That's an outstanding Colt Yelljack. It's worth more than a little something. :-)
    Thank you. I appreciate it.

Member #
    Liked
    2409 times
    I am reminded that since that "Colt Letter" was at least 10 years ago, that I might not have a 100% memory of it. So I am posting an image of it, with some needed corrections to what has been said/implied earlier in this thread. First, if the Shipping Records don't exist (as expected) you may not have to pay $100.

Also the "Colt Letter" will read more like an apology, with a few known pieces of info inserted from the Production Record. A snippet of that type of Colt Letter is attached, along with some pictures of the subject Colt SAA in 38 Special.

On receiving this letter, I did ask if the "357" actually referred to caliber or bore size. I was told that it was the recorded caliber in those production records. Again, what is entered in the production records is not necessarily how the gun appeared when sold later. This Colt SAA has some handling marks, but the front of cylinder suggests that it is unfired. On the front of cylinder is "83". And the chambers are 38 Special, not the longer 357 Magnum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 02-07-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2880 times
    Don Wilkerson described guns like this in his book "Colt's Single Action Army Revolver Pre-War Post-War Model" (Broughton Printing, 1991). The gun described by the original poster is in the serial number range quoted by Don on page 52 of that book. Also, there is a photo of one of these guns in the same type of box on page 75.
    When I have time, I will look through the book and see if the original poster's serial number actually appears in the book.
    This could potentially be quite a valuable gun.
    - - Bruce
    Last edited by Buckspen; 02-08-2020 at 05:36 PM.
    ColtsDad, yelljack and ersiii like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckspen View Post
    Don Wilkerson described guns like this in his book "Colt's Single Action Army Revolver Pre-War Post-War Model" (Broughton Printing, 1991). The gun described by the original poster is in the serial number range quoted by Don on page 52 of that book. Also, there is a photo of one of these guns in the same type of box on page 75.
    When I have time, I will look through the book and see if the original poster's serial number actually appears in the book.
    This could potentially be quite a valuable gun.
    - - Bruce
    Thanks, Bruce. If you get around to it, I'd love to hear what you find!

Member #
    Liked
    2880 times
    Yelljack - First, if I were you, I would purchase a copy of Don Wilkerson's book. It's very interesting little book and a good read for a collector. It is still in print, but copies are limited, available from Carol Wilkerson here for $30. Lots of very specific information there about these guns.
    Colt?s Single Action Army Revolver ? Pre-War Post-War Model | Carol K Wilkerson

I looked through the book and did not see your specific serial number. Most of these pre-war post war guns were blue & case hardened finish with 5 1/2 inch barrels and either .38 Special or .45 Colt calibers. What is the caliber of your gun?
    I tried to photograph the page in the book with the gun in the "leatherette" box (like in your photo). Usually, Woodsman pistols or Officer's Model or 3-5-7 revolvers were shipped in these boxes but, obviously, some SAA's were shipped in them, too. Photos attached. Does your box have a label like the one in the photo? Click on a photo to enlarge it.
    I am sure that other SAA collectors would be very interested in seeing the Colt Archive letter you got for your gun. We would appreciate it a lot if you would post a photo or a scan of it.
    - - Bruce
    DSCF0001.JPGDSCF0007.JPG

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Hey, Bruce, thanks again for taking the time to respond with such valuable information. I really appreciate it. The pictures from the book that you posted look quite familiar. I've posted pictures below of the original box. And, yes, this SAA of mine is a .38 Special. Now, for the pictures....
    IMG_3615.jpg
    IMG_3616.jpg
    Last edited by yelljack; 02-09-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    And here's the Archive Letter. I just received this in the mail a couple of days ago.
    IMG_3617.jpg
    Last edited by yelljack; 02-09-2020 at 01:22 PM.
    Muley Gil and inspcalahan like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2880 times
    Well, look at that! Very nice. You have a great gun there! Thanks for sharing this with us. You should get a copy of Wilkerson's book and read up on these interesting Single Actions.

- - Bruce
    yelljack likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2409 times
    What the heck? Have the "lost" shipping records been found?

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckspen View Post
    Well, look at that! Very nice. You have a great gun there! Thanks for sharing this with us. You should get a copy of Wilkerson's book and read up on these interesting Single Actions.

- - Bruce
    Just got off the phone with Carol Wilkerson. Sending her a check tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion. This is getting more and more interesting. I had no idea. Thanks again for all of the recommendations and the insight. I very much appreciate it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links