Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Case Coloring on Recent production SAA Revolvers

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    2108 times

Case Coloring on Recent production SAA Revolvers

Now, I'm not saying I'm right, but recent production of Colt Single Action Army revolvers with blued finish and case colored frames suggest to me that the colors are much too dark and showy relative to what has been the historical norm. Perhaps tastes have changed or the ability to make these gawdy finishes more readily available makes them much more commonplace. And perhaps this style is preferred. I won't post such photographs of current production as they are readily located on the internet, and I don't want to single out someone's specific beloved firearm to use in comparison. However, in my opinion, which may not be necessarily correct, muted case colored finishes were the norm ad are much more attractive. Such as that found on the attached photograph of a Colt Model 1877 revolver I own. Although not a SAA revolver, the case coloring on this frame is of good enough quality to demonstrate what historically has been the case, and what I imagine case coloring on a new production SAA revolver should look like but perhaps a slight bit more vivid to account for any fading that might have occurred over approximately 14 decades.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mrcvs; 02-09-2020 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Grammar

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Still look purty to me.

Member #
    Liked
    1376 times
    I really like the current CCH as they have more vivid colors. But it's really just a hit and miss process depending on many variables which alter the outcome each time. Some like the blues, some like the straw and many like the total range of colors. I've had a few different CCH'd revolvers in bone and charcoal, also chemical. It's also true that most people without a knowledge of CCH can't even discern the difference. I've lined them up and shown people all the different treatments and most can't even care. Now throw in today's newest fad of clear coating CCH (Colt does not) which brings the vivid colors out and gives the CCH a little longer lifespan from fading issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Colt SAA and Colt 1st gen SAA,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    I was just thinking how we hadn’t had us a good ‘ol fashion “Darn these flashy, lacquered-up, new-fangled case colors!” thread in a while...grab a seat and enjoy the show folks!
    bighipiron likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    16859 times
    I like nickel.

Member #
    byron bay australia: home of the east coast blue's festivle
    Liked
    505 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcvs View Post
    Now, I'm not saying I'm right, but recent production of Colt Single Action Army revolvers with blued finish and case colored frames suggest to me that the colors are much to dark and showy relative to what has been the historical norm. Perhaps tastes have changed or the ability to make these gawdy finishes more readily available makes them much more commonplace. And perhaps this style is preferred. I won't post such photographs of current production as they are readily located on the internet, and I don't want to single out someone's specific beloved firearm to use in comparison. However, in my opinion, which may not be necessarily correct, muted case colored finishes were the norm ad are much more attractive, in my opinion. Such as that found on the attached photograph of a Colt Model 1877 revolver I own. Although not a SAA revolver, the case coloring on this frame is of good enough quality to demonstrate what historically has been the case, and what I imagine case coloring on a new production SAA revolver should look like but perhaps a slight bit more vivid to account for any fading that might have occurred over approximately 14 decades.
    and hear is mine, blue a bit dull, but cc is 95%.
    tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tony56; 02-09-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    mrcvs, Kerz and watch4bear like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1942 times
    It's been about a month since we last did this? No two guns are alike, never have been, never will be, The process has varied over time. It will change again. And in other news water is wet.
    Last edited by Mikebiker; 02-09-2020 at 03:38 PM.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    2108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikebiker View Post
    It's been about a month since we last did this?
    Was there another thread recently expressing distaste for current case coloring and the appearance of such? If so, I was unaware of it. I just created this thread today after seeing a photograph of a recent production Single Action Army revolver and realizing how much more I prefer the muted appearance that was available historically.
    Joel6180 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24826 times
    One must remember that Case Colors tend to fade with age and especially so if exposed to sunlight. I suspect some protective oils/greases may also add to the fading of Case Colors.
    inspcalahan and bighipiron like this.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I kind of liked the new bright case coloring and was thinking about pursuing the purchase of one, but now that you got me thinking....
    For practical use, you didn't want the outlaws and Indians seeing your gun FLASH from a mile away....... hmmm.
    Lonnie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links