Colt Frontier Six Shooter 1881 nickel
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Colt Frontier Six Shooter 1881 nickel

Member #
    Liked
    2144 times
    barrels 7 1/2 and 5 1/2". Depending on when Colt did the work they may have upgraded the barrel as the sight would indicate and stamped the Rampant Colt on the frame. Possible they replaced the hammer also.
    hwjhfs likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Until I get the hammer repaired or find a good Colt hammer at an affordable price, I'm contemplating installing a Pietta hammer - stainless or nickel.

I've been told the Pietta hammer will drop in and work and the checkering pattern looks closer to early 1st generation than the one in it.

I pulled the hammer from one of my Cimarron Eleminator 8s and put it in the old gun. It fit and swong in fine and notches look to be in same place. The hole for the hand in the Pietta hammer is too small for the Colt hand. But that's no step for a stepper.

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    I got the old Colt out Sunday and shot it and made video.

https://youtu.be/LBcDPkE31zo

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6090 times
    Thumbs up! Even with ffg, it looks to come back reasonably well.
    jringo8769 likes this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    I got out a bit ago and shot 10 rounds from 10 steps from improvised rest. Load was 2.2 cc Grafs FFG with Lee 200g RF with Thompson's Bore Butter over bullets.

Good enough considering 139 year old Colt and nearly 70 year old eyes.

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    I got one more piece of the puzzle taken apart last night. On first disassembly, I found that the cylinder bushing was stuck. A measured light tap didn't knock it loose. So each time I had it apart, I applied penetrating oil on each end. I did this several times and tried bumping it each time. This morning I noticed it had moved just a little. I bumped it back and forth a couple of time - gaining a little each time. It's clean of rust and now and slides in and out easily.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24762 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibbyman View Post
    I got the old Colt out Sunday and shot it and made video.

https://youtu.be/LBcDPkE31zo
    Nice looking old rebuilt Colt SAA!! Also, Nice looking property!! Ideal for shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    2215 times
    I have had several of these "Back to the Factory" rebuilds. My experience is that if a part needed replaced, or re-marked/re-stamped, Colt used the current products and current dies in use at the time of the rebuild. I like them when they have those bin numbers stamped all over them, none of which are readily visible. My current one (I think it is the one) even has the ejector rod head numbered.

If you study the replaced parts and re-stampings/roll dies you can come pretty close to the time period when Colt did the rebuild. Example is your barrel's caliber marking...that style appeared in 1923 and was discontinued in 1929. (Kopec's "Study"). And since it has the larger/later front sight I would speculate the barrel was replaced at that time and a not re-stamping of the original barrel. Hope this helps.

Edit to add: The 5-1/4" barrel length is a bit confusing for a Colt replacement unless the customer specifically asked for that barrel length. Another possibility is that the customer had this CUT barrel on hand already and had Colt do the installation. Or, the newer CUT barrel had been installed previously before sending it to Colt. You will probably never know the answer to the barrel. The 5-1/4" was not a standard length offered.

Another observation is the stock locating pin in the trigger guard: The gun originally had one piece wood (most likely) and that pin would not have been there. The two piece grips did not appear until 1882. Could be some overlap in evolution of the grips, or, trigger guard replaced (which would explain the absence of the 6 pointed star or ampersand), or Colt installed the pin (which looks to be a factory pin).
    Last edited by hwjhfs; 02-24-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    LeverActionBill likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    I got the hammer back today from Lever Action Bill. He had welded up and recut the second notch. It's now safe(r) to load. Thanks Bill!

Since I had it on the operating table, I fitted one-piece faux antler grips I'd cast a while back. They were made for a Uberti Cattleman so I had to do some fitting. All was overhang so not to ugly after done. And the medallions say 45Colt. I'll probably shoot it at next Cowboy Action Shooting match.

jringo8769 and DocWyatt like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1365 times
    Looks great
    Another one saved
    Thank you both for repairing it and finishing it
    Looks great to me
    Thank you for sharing it with us
    God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links