Colt Forum banner

Dumb Noob Question

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  HMScole 
#1 ·
After watching auction prices for a while, I noticed 'special edition' SAAs go for less than guns of the same vintage. In a fever, I jumped in and bought a centennial NRA gun SAA in 45lc that seems to be in new condition. So...WHY are these guns cheaper? Did I make a mistake? I'm interested only in shooting this gun, as I love SA guns, and shoot my mild handloads in .45lc in guns of other makes. Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks, Eric

#2 ·
I think you bought an excellent pistol. Just shoot it without worry. It's a 2nd generation commemorative that collectors just don't want. That NRA has no gold plating on it so it's easy to just change the barrel and grips to make it an ordinary model P except for the serial number which is not in the normal range but is special. I have one just because it was cheap.

#4 ·
IMHO (and there are a whole lot of people here who know a whole lot more about it than me) if you bought it as a "shooter", go shoot it and enjoy it!! In my experience, guns produced to be 'collectibles', like your NRA version, rarely become widely collected. However, there may well be individuals who collect them but I would think in general, the collector market values the vintage guns much more.

You didn't buy it as an investor or collector so, as I said, shoot the heck out of it and enjoy it. All else aside, it's still a Colt SAA!!!

But be patient, I'm sure you'll hear from forum members who are much more familiar with your gun, similar versions, than I am.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum from So. Utah!!

#5 ·
I think you did very well. If you read a lot here,you will see many similar posts like yours where guys have done th3vexact same thing with that Commemorative and others like it. It’s all good because they are all Colts. Pete

#6 ·
The answer about why the value of special edition 2nd gen SAA's is directly related to the number of those editions that Colt produced versus the their standard production. In the late 1960's and early 1970's Colt flooded the market with 'special editions' and 'would be' collectors grabbed them up thinking they would be highly sought after Collector's Items. Instead it was the lower production 'standard issue' 2nd gen SAA's that became more collectible.
Theorem: If someone tries to sell a new item as something that will 'surely' become a collector's item, don't buy it until you 'do the math' on production.

#7 ·
I'm new to this site. Figured I would be in good hands asking a fellow brother in arms a stupid question;
I recently picked up a Colt Pocket Navy .36 Cal, Model 1861 Rim Fire Conversion with a Loading Gate.
Its missing the barrel and not sure what other parts it needs.
Any chance you may have any information that may lead me in the right direction.
USAR 83-89, MOS 11H, no longer around. God I gotten old.

#10 ·
I'll echo what everyone else has said. The blue/case hardened and nickel plated 2nd generation guns will definitely command a higher price but other than that the commemorative models are quality 2nd generation Colt Single Action Army revolvers.

I picked up one of these commemorative models about a year ago. It does have some gold bits on it that are a little worn from light handling, that gold electroplating is very thin, but I don't think the gun was ever shot... until I got it anyway. ;) They make great shooters so shoot the heck out of it and enjoy it. Mine is one of the best shooting SAA's I've ever shot and I own several 3rd generation models.

#12 ·
I recently picked up a 3rd generation NRA commemorative in 45. It is a 2014 gun from the custom shop from what I can tell. It has some residue on the face of the cylinder so I believe it has been fired. I have it for sale on GunInternational and you are correct. You can usually get these for less money and if you want a shooter, you win. This one does not have a special serial number. By the way if anyone on the forum is interested in this one, you may get a discount :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.