Member #
    Liked
    4163 times
    I would shoot it much as I could.

Member #
    Liked
    854 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sixguns View Post
    If you have several NIB, plus some you have already shot, not a lot of reason to shoot the NIB ones... Unless you just want to. They may not appreciate much, but there’s no reason to hurt the value if you have others to shoot.
    Agree.
    This is my approach.
    I bought three Custom Shop boxed P1840's in 2012 at list price and put them away. If the current new inventory stays as is, I'm ahead of the game.
    I shoot a used .44 SPL and my 1st Gen 38.40's. I'm good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2284 times
    I’ve now got three 45 3rd Gen Guns. The two 4-3/4” jobs are blue and nickel with 45 ACP cylinders. The blued gun was shot when I got it so I do shoot it quite a bit with 45 ACP. The nickel is unfired. I bought the 7.5” because I was looking for great case colors and probably won’t shoot it. They’re my guns and I can choose what I want to do with them. You can do the same. In another thread we were discussing shooting 45 ACP in the ball configuration. Cleanup is a snap( no lead splatter,forcing cone buildup,etc) heck I don’t even show copper glint in the barrel. Even after a lot of rounds my 4-3/4 looks pretty good. Pete

Last edited by sturmgewehr; 02-20-2020 at 05:22 PM.
    COLT,finally a HANDGUN worth owning!!!
    Life Member NRA-1974
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets
    “Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will REAP what you SOW.” Galatians 6:7

Member #
    Liked
    326 times
    Maybe age and financial considerations. I'm fast approaching 70. I'm not thinking long term investments. I'm enjoying what I have now while I can.

I bought a new one last summer because it was about the same price as a first or second generation in poor shape and half the price of a nice one. And it was available and in the configuration that I was looking for.
    Smokem and Bullet Bob like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1696 times
    I would not want my wife's new boyfriend to be the first one to shoot my guns.
    Last edited by Gator89; 02-16-2020 at 11:41 AM.
    Smokem, Colt75, USRoady and 8 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18068 times
    As the responses indicate.. each personal situation dictates the type of response.

My situation sounds very similar to the OP’s.
    I have to have something to shoot, and I do have Colt SAA’s that I do shoot. I purchased the guns at shooter prices.
    That said, I have third gen Colt SAA’s that I do not shoot, and will not. If and when they get sold.. ( because rumor is that it’s much more unlikely .. than likely.. that I will live forever). . These guns will certainly be worth more than what I paid.
    Here is the thing about thirds right now. It’s probably accurate that they appreciate very slowly,, more like at the rate of inflation if averaged out.. BUT. my Colt SAA collection was purchased before the last msrp increase that happened about two years ago. The current msrp is several hundred more than my original purchase price.. and they weren’t not purchased that long ago. But because of the msrp increase, there is a bit of a jump in appreciation for me. The current purchase price for NIB current production third is averaging more than the msrp. Apt to change? It could but it’s not trending that way. I’ve been told, just yesterday, “ you’d be surprised what your Colt SAA will bring with the right seller selling it.”

That’s my long winded version of.. shoot your shooters. Maybe Safe queen some of your NIB’s.

If today is your 118th birthday.. Happy birthday. Shoot your NIB.. No. I mean shoot it. Use it as a target for another NIB SAA. Rig up a soft vice like your shooting it right out of that Black Bart’s hand.. just like every cowboy wanted to try to do, like in the movies . See if it can be done !!! then Use your iPad as a Target.. after you post some pics of it of course.
    Last edited by what would you say; 02-16-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    lounick and Capps like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    322 times

Smile

If I had 5 NIB SAA and they went up in price $100.00 a year after 5 years , that $2500.00 would be what I pay on 2 land parcels combined each year . Beside that , when you sell them you don't have them any more , just money that went down in value . Hard call isn't it . -- Sorry , do this to my brother all the time when I hang up . I think of something . I have bought fire arms from dead guys that never shot them and when I shoot them I always think of how they missed out on what I am doing .
    Last edited by Some guy; 02-20-2020 at 10:45 AM.
    All injuries to pride are self inflicted.

Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Highly subjective topic. I liken it to buying a car. Buy a new one, drive it off the lot and it immediately loses a significant amount of value. basically meaning the person that bought the new car paid a few thousand dollars for the priveledge of driving a new car.

And so it is with a revolver. If a person wants to buy a new one and shoot it and doesn't care what it costs them to be the first to shoot it, more power to 'em.

Cholla

P.S.- I haven't bought a new car in about 30 years.
    RDS likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    Everything I own is for using from toilets to SAA's .
    superdave269 and Gator89 like this.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun - Do Not Touch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links