• 2 Post By Rick
  • 8 Post By Varminter3
  • 1 Post By Rick

Thread: Early serial # SAA documented

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Early serial # SAA documented

Hello, Thanks for adding me. I've been gathering information on my colt for a while. I have a colt SAA serial number 4269. All numbers match and gun appears untouched other than at some point the barrel has been shortened to 5.5" everything else appears to be correct. I just met with Wendell Grangarrd and had him evaluate the colt. According to Mr. Grangarrd this weapon was used at the battle of little big horn more specifically by a member of Reno's retreat, then picked up by an indian and used until it was turned in at a reservation. That is the condensed version. The letter is detailed with names. My question is has anybody had any interaction with Mr. Grangarrd and how correct is this information. Thanks.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24799 times
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I just ordered the book.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    722 times
    Pics!!!
    Historical PICS....we like...
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2156 times
    I suggest a call to Springfield Research Service. They have much info from Nat'l Archives and may have info on your serial number. I could not find the serial number in my SRS books but they were published in 1999. A fully documented Little Bighorn SAA was recently sold for $460,000.00.
    4269 was part of Lot 4 which according to Grangaard was issued to 2nd, 6th and 8th Cavalry units. I didn't see but may have missed your serial listed in his book. I'd be interested in how he determined the LBH use as I have a Lot 5 gun I'd LOVE to have authenticated.

The book is a very interesting read and it seems most but not all his info comes from old published interviews with Native Americans claiming participation in the battle. These are very interesting stories and may very well be honest recollections but without hard provenance they are just that, stories.
    I think if Mr. Grangaard's studies were given much creedence, he would be on par with Kopek and Fenn in the martial Colt world.
    Last edited by Rick; 02-16-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    ei8ht and mrcvs like this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    cloverleaf, ei8ht, Norway and 5 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2156 times
    Looks like a righteous cut barrel Cav thats been around the block more than a few times. My Lot 5 arty looks very similar. Congratulations on a nice piece!
    mrcvs likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links