Smith for SAA
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Smith for SAA

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    843 times
    As has previously been stated, Jim Martin is a fantastic smith. He has done 3 of my SAA's, including 1st gens, and his work is amazing. He is also as honest as they come. You will not be dissapointed and you could learn alot from him in the process. A pleasure to talk to.
    MarkInTx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave269 View Post
    If I recall correctly Jim Martin told me ( yes it is a high point of my day talking with him) that he supplied the pattern that Ron Smith used to manufacture 1st gen bolts. I believe that what Brownells sells. I mention this because it sounded like you may need a replacement bolt.
    851-000-021WB
    1st Gen. BoltMfr Part: 8036
    Smith Ent. also makes 2nd gen bolts as well as 1st & 2nd gen hands,all are "must fit parts" & are sold thru Brownells,in addition to these parts he makes 1st gen bolt & trigger frame screws in the white so that they can be finished to match whatever condition the finish of the gun is.

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cxm357 View Post
    Thanks... the problem is fairly simple... I have a nearly new 1958 vintage SAA that isn't locking quite right... the cyl has some play in it... If it were a S&W I could do it myself... Colt is another issue...

FWIW

CHuck
    In what direction is the play? Rotational? Or forwards and back (endshake)?

Have you cleaned the action? Sometimes old oil and junk can keep the bolt from coming all the way up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    First thanks to everyone for your kind assistance.

Not being familiar with Colt's revolvers I seem to have under estimated the seriousness of the problem... being only familiar with S&W revolvers and Colt's semi auto pistols I seem to have assumed a lot...

The movement is left/right in either direction, not forward and back.

This revolver appears to have been shot little if any since it left the factory.

If it makes any difference (I'm not sure when gen 2 ends and 3 starts) and I expect it does make a difference the revolver was made in 1958...
    Last edited by cxm357; 02-21-2020 at 04:50 AM.
    Hoist On High The Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears The Single Star!

'Fear God and Dreadnought!'

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    1958 is a second generation.

Member #
    Liked
    815 times
    Lever action Bill is a great choice!
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    845 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtsDad View Post
    Contact Jim Martin on this forum
    I'll second Jim Martin. There are others on here who have good reputations, but I would only recommend someone I have had experience with, Jim Martin.
    "You shot him in the back!!" "His back was too me." Van Leek

Member #
    Liked
    2773 times
    Maybe you need to replace the bolt sear spring with that right and left movement(weak spring). It's an easy replacement and should be able to find a new spring, midwayusa.com, brownells.com If that's not the problem then Jim Martin or leveraction bill.

Member #
    Liked
    2819 times
    It's interesting to note that the hammer cam/bolt leg relationship has not changed since 1873, yet the third gen bolts have a shorter, rounded leg. For years I tried to find all the long leg bolts I could, even going as far as to remove a leg from a damaged bolt, mill off part of the bolt and silver solder the salvaged leg to it, which in fact worked. Then one day I decided to just try the third gen, short bolt. It worked, and it works on all generations if you know how to fit it. The Smith bolts replicate first gens but the fitting requires excessive time and work. The thirds were designed to work with a minimum of additional fitting, and I feel they work as good if not better. They still are expensive but Colt parts are Colt parts and worth the money.

JP
    victorio1sw likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links