Colt Forum banner

"Antiqued" second generation Colt SAA in 45Colt - viewer discretion advised!

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jigo23 
#1 ·
"Antiqued" second generation Colt SAA in 45Colt - viewer discretion advised!

Mary and I made our rounds of two of our favorite toy stores yesterday. At the second one was this Colt SAA in 45Colt made in 1971. We are frequent visitors to the shop and he knows to be on the lookout for Colt SAA "shooters" for me. But he was embarrassed to even show me this one. We looked it over and decided if I could trade into it well, I'd do it.

This morning we hauled my trade to the shop and I even got some boot! I think he couldn't stand to look at it and just wanted it gone.

Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Gun barrel

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
As long as the new-to-you Colt is mechanically sound n' working ok, then you've a Colt ya can take afield n' shoot to your hearts content and not be too concerned 'bout hurting the finish on! Most likely the cost/trade to you was resonable, so no major investment for a good shooter. Congratulation on your new found treasure...

Back around 1971 my late brother bought this SAA 2ne Gen, 1962 vintage 5 1/2" .45 Colt. It had been used as a 'leather slap' handgun and looks like it rode with the Dalton gang in the late 1800's. Hammer had the spur raised some and the checkering removed from the spur. In 1986 I had Wild Bill make the leather belt/holster setup, as he did antiquing leather products back in them days. Around 2009 I had Bob Munden do an action job on it, as all 3 of the hammer notches needed welding/repaired. It's now once again a fine shootin' Colt to take to the field n' use. Even though it's a 2nd Gen it has its own character. Many a person has figured for sure I was out shooting a 1st Gen!!

Attachments

#5 ·
Watch the first couple of minutes of my video where I show an old second generation Colt SAA in 45Colt that had belonged to my late brother-in-law who bought it in this condition. It too had the hammer bent up and checkering removed. My brother-in-law cut some crude checkering in it after he got it. I often wondered who did the custom work but will never know. The grips are still a mystery as they are numbered to the gun but yet no checkering anywhere. They are thinner than normal.

https://youtu.be/LWJXU8MGQLk

Lever Action Bill welded up the hammer notches and recut them. He installed a new cam and timed the action. The gun had been rebuilt before. The old horse still shoots great!

The "antiqued" gun...

The grips my well be third generation. They don't fit perfectly well with some overhang around and no number inside.

I've taken the gun apart and there is evidence of custom action work. The hammer spring has been narrowed to about 1/8" wide. The legs on the tigger/bolt spring have been narrowed. The hand has been stretched to correct cylinder rotation.

#7 · (Edited)
Until just a couple years ago I did not know 2nd gen guns came with eagle grips, but they did in the early '70s. Maybe they got that idea after making eagle grips for the Bat Masterson commemorative in '67 and decided to switch.
I love guns like the "antiqued" SAA pictured here. Besides preferring SAAs that show lots of use, the fact that the gun store guy was so embarrassed about the gun means his asking price had to be real low. That's a perfect candidate for engraving but I'd just leave it as is. I get all my SAA springs from Jim Martin's friend who owns this company. He even answers the phone himself when I called.

#8 ·
I shot it today with my "cowboy" loads - 200g over BlackMZ in C45S case. I neglected to check the chambers. I found them caked with gunk. The cartridges were difficult to load and difficult to eject bringing black gunk out on the cases. I should have shut down and went back and cleaned it but I went ahead and shot it some 30 times.

It took a lot of elbow grease to work on the gunk. I finally gave the cylinder a bath in scalding hot water and Simple Green. This loosened it up. Cartridges will fall in and out now.

First 5 shots at 10 steps. Close enough for cowboy work.

Wood Beige Technology Electronics Electronic device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.