Which one to shoot?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Which one to shoot?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Which one to shoot?

I purchased my first Colt SAA back in 2002 or 2003. It came out of a large Colt SAA collection in Dallas that Bass Pro Fine Gun Room was selling. It has the smoothest action I have ever felt and has written on the plastic factory case "Lee's Gunsmithing Orange, CA". I assume that is who did the action job. The gun's serial # dates it to 2000 and it doesn't have the removable bushing. The chambers measure out to approximately .455-.456.
    I have never fired the gun and I would say it is in 99% condition but probably fired by the previous owner.

I recently picked up another Colt SAA built in 2007, it has the removable bushing but looks to be unfired in the original box and sleeve. The chamber throats measure similar to the other one.

I'm probably going to go with the 2000 vintage one since I think it has been fired. Any reason to pick the other one with the removeable bushing? They are both 45 Colts with 4.75 barrels.

I think I'm going with 8 grs of Unique and the Hornady .454 Lead bullets to start with.

On a side note, anyone ever heard of Lee's Gunsmithing?

Thanks
    Last edited by 470Evans; 02-24-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Mac

Member #
    Liked
    621 times
    Shoot em both.
    Mac
    ColtSAA3G, Southgate and Joel6180 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3052 times
    Shoot both of them and see which one you like most.
    ColtSAA3G and Joel6180 like this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4547 times
    it would take thousands of rounds to see any deformation of either the fixed or the removable bushing.

I ask guys all the time who condemn the fixed bushing how many times they’ve replaced their removable bushing because it needed it...only one could answer that question.

The “fixed bushing issue” really only exists for a few - and if there’s ever the need it’s easy enough for an SAA ‘smith to replace.
    Colt75 and MarkInTx like this.
    All SAA work. Check out my webpage.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24679 times
    LAB, It is not 'worrying about the bushing wearing out,' the issue is having a Colt SAA that was built the way they were originally built. Most of us wish that Colt would standardize on the non-cross-latch for retaining the cylinder rod. Our chant should be 'go back to the black powder style frame.'
    LeverActionBill and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4547 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    LAB, It is not 'worrying about the bushing wearing out,' the issue is having a Colt SAA that was built the way they were originally built. Most of us wish that Colt would standardize on the non-cross-latch for retaining the cylinder rod. Our chant should be 'go back to the black powder style frame.'
    Amen to that!
    All SAA work. Check out my webpage.

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Yeah, shoot 'em both. One in each hand like God intended. And use black powder. I bought an old SAA years ago that had been changed to .357 and had a S&W sight installed with a Python like rib on a 6 inch barrel that was marked LEE'S GUN SHOP. I searched for them and probably the one in New Hampshire but there is another in AL. You've got me curious now.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1692 times
    Shoot 'em all!
    MarkInTx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    Congratulations on having two 45 Colts with 4.75 barrels. If shooting only one (I would have to shoot both) the one with the action tune up will probably be more fun.
    Your guns, your choice.

Member #
    Liked
    7646 times
    Lee’s in Orange County, Cal. is a big SASS promoter..They have been doing SASS guns for shooters for years.
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links