SAA Backstrap to Frame Fitment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: SAA Backstrap to Frame Fitment

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    In looking at the pictures, I wonder if the screw on the right side is correct. Sometimes the screw head slot will get messed up and the owner will use another screw that might have the wrong thread. They will force it in at an angle resulting in situation like I see on the OP's gun.
    Pull that screw out and check it over closely.
    Interestingly enough, the right side screw is captured in the grip frame 'ear' - it will not screw out of the ear, and I'm not inclined to force it for fear of stripping the threads on either the screw or the ear. This seems to play a role in the issue - I believe I'm going to send the gun off to Jim Martin for a looksee.
    'Remember me to whoever rides by'

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24650 times
    Quote Originally Posted by USRoady View Post
    Interestingly enough, the right side screw is captured in the grip frame 'ear' - it will not screw out of the ear, and I'm not inclined to force it for fear of stripping the threads on either the screw or the ear. This seems to play a role in the issue - I believe I'm going to send the gun off to Jim Martin for a looksee.

Sending it to Jim Martin is a good idea. It is easy to damage the 'ear' in trying to remove the screw.

Member #
    Liked
    2221 times
    Yes, be cautious. Just for info, there are no threads in the ears, just in the frame.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    793 times

That would make sense if the gun was dropped and the ear was bent the screw would also be bent thus making it hard to remove.
    Sending it to Jim Martin would be an excellent idea!

Member #
    Liked
    2721 times
    If someone has previously really torqued up on that screw in trying to back it out -- that may explain how the backstrap ear got bent in such an odd manner. In a previous post I commented that the upper right frame ear is above the plain of the backstrap ear.

Now that it seems that the screw head is stuck in the backstrap ear, this may require milling thru the center of the screw head until it separates from the screw shank section. I once had to do that to remove a front TG screw in a 1915 vintage Colt SAA. The threaded section wasn't stuck in the frame at all, and I removed it by un-screwing with my fingers.

How does a screw head get stuck so badly? We are taught that one thing to try with a stuck screw is to add penetrating oil, place a screw driver into the screw slot, and tap the back of the screw driver lightly with a hammer. That is all well and good, unless repeated heavier blows are delivered to that screw slot - which causes the head to swell. Using a tight-fitting screw driver blade just makes that matter worse.

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Maybe a bit of a hijack but I have a Cattleman that hadn't been handled in over a year. I shot it in a match with black powder loads and decided to take it completely apart for good cleaning. One strap screw slot just camed out. (Yes, I used a proper gunsmith screwdriver.) Uberti screws ar soft, as we all know. I used every trick but couldn't get the screw out. Eventually I drilled through the head so I could remove the backstrap. I used penetrating oil on it and tried to cut a slot on the end remaining stuck out. That just ripped right off. I then drilled and used an easy-out. It broke off leaving a bigger problem as the easy out was hard. I used a Dremel tool with diamond crusted bit to grind out the broken easy-out. I opened the hole up with the proper root size bit. Then finally used a tap to chase the threads. It turned out ok. But was a long process and could have been bad.

As a result of the above experience, I have taken to not just testing screws for tightness but break them loose a half turn before snugging them back up.
    victorio1sw and saintclair like this.

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Thanks to everyone who responded - your insight is appreciated and valued. The gun is in very good condition, and I'm hopeful that Jim will be able to correct this situation.

Member #
    Liked
    3345 times
    Have you tried removing the triggerguard, the mainsrping, the other two backstrp screws, and the hammer? Sometimes with everything else removed you might be abe to GENTLY twist the backstrap counterclockwise a bit which might loosen the screw enough to remove.

Bests regards,
    USRoady and victorio1sw like this.
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    As previously stated, send to Jim Martin and let him work his magic on it. It either has, or had in the past, timing issues - I see battering on the cylinder from early bolt drop. The gun has probably been dropped in the past, and a once-over by a master in the business will yield you a gun that functions properly and looks good.
    paglazier and USRoady like this.

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Just an update: I was able to work the stuck screw out of the grip frame - it has a burr on it and that was holding it in. Now that the screw is out, and I level the 'ears' on the frame, it is very obvious that the grip frame is bent. It's out about 1/16" where the bottom meets the trigger guard. Thanks for all that responded to my question!
    saintclair and paglazier like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links