SAA Backstrap to Frame Fitment
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: SAA Backstrap to Frame Fitment

Member #
    Liked
    103 times

SAA Backstrap to Frame Fitment

Hello All - Seeking opinions on a right side mismatched backstrap to frame fitment (at top) on a nice lettered 1884 SAA that I acquired. The left side fit is fine. All the numbers match, so it seems to me that the revolver is as it came from the factory. As these old SAAs were well known for the quality of their workmanship, this seems unusual to me. I'm interested in opinions on how unusual this really is. Thanks!

7.jpg3.jpg
    Last edited by USRoady; 03-22-2020 at 07:18 PM.
    victorio1sw and paglazier like this.
    'Remember me to whoever rides by'

Member #
    Liked
    1815 times
    I doubt it was shipped that way. The method of polishing the gun would be to polish the 2 surfaces together to get the seamless fit we all like. More then likely something is bent or twisted a bit. The screw holes may enough play to allow the poor fit you are seeing. If it were mine I would pull it apart and check for what is bent and then try to straighten it out.
    454424, jringo8769, smutt and 3 others like this.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    2105 times
    First photo looks like another issue on the right side. You should not be able to catch a fingernail on any of the mating surfaces.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2725 times
    That right side "ear" is above the frame enough to bother me, at least. Does the butt of the grips align perfectly with the buttstrap, or is there an indication of a bent backstrap? When you remove the grips, and then back out the butt screw, does the backstrap appear sprung (bent)? Then remove the backstrap entirely. Lay a steel straight edge along the backstrap surfaces that are supposed to contact the upper grips. These should be a straight mill cut. If bent there, this may explain the alignment problem (coupled with an under-sized screw(s)).
    USRoady likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    There might also be a problem with the loading gate. It appears to have a poor fit, maybe the lighting. For sure that Colt did not leave the factory like that.

Member #
    Liked
    3346 times
    Try loosening the backstrap screws a bit and see if the backstrap can be shifted into position, then retighten.

Best regards,
    throck3 likes this.
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Member #
    Liked
    2225 times
    If you look closely at where the top, front corner of the grip panels meet the frame you can see they are not flush. It was probably dropped and bent the straps. Agree with the other comments.

bent.jpg
    Last edited by hwjhfs; 03-24-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2725 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hwjhfs View Post
    If you look closely at where the top, front corner of the grip panels meet the frame you can see they are not flush. It was probably dropped and bent the straps. Agree with the other comments.

bent.jpg
    In your enlarged picture, that right "ear" of backstrap also looks like it is twisted counterclockwise (with gun pointed downrange). The picture was taken at a slight angle, so the upper frame "ear" is raised above the backstrap "ear".
    USRoady likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsai52 View Post
    Try loosening the backstrap screws a bit and see if the backstrap can be shifted into position, then retighten.

Best regards,
    Works for me.
    Monsai52 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24662 times
    In looking at the pictures, I wonder if the screw on the right side is correct. Sometimes the screw head slot will get messed up and the owner will use another screw that might have the wrong thread. They will force it in at an angle resulting in situation like I see on the OP's gun.
    Pull that screw out and check it over closely.
    scstrain and USRoady like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links