Colt Forum banner

Any Idea Who Engraved This Colt?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Rick 
#1 ·
1st Gen 38-40 with engraving done much more recently. I have not pulled the trigger guard / backstrap to look for any signature. Any feelings on who and or when the work was done?

Gun Revolver
Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Ring Fashion accessory Jewellery Silver Metal

See less See more
#8 ·
Phyllis 1, I don't understand your question. I am sure that Glahn (Colt Factory Master engraver in the 20th Century) used the standard hammer and chisel tools to do his engraving. The SAA that Mikebiker posted may have been done by a modern engraver who could have used the same tools or he may have used an Ngraver. I actually like the engraving on Mike's SAA better than the work done by Glahn. Of course, an original Glahn-engraved gun is worth quite a bit more (10X) than the more modern work.

PS Glahn always incorporated a triangular motif into his work. In this case it is on the recoil shield.

#9 ·
I don't usually get real excited over engraved guns but this came along and I liked the style, lack of cheap filler work, and the amount of coverage. Since I have a very unique arrangement at my local shop where I get buy the gun and take it home and pay as I go I took them up on it. I have a very nice original condition 38-40 to go with it so I cased them together.

Revolver Gun Trigger Machine

#13 ·
I also noticed that the original Glahn engraved SAA that I posted had very little punch dot background on the cylinder. I recall that Ken Hurst used to make up designs that would require the minimum amount of background punch dots. He told me he hated doing those punch dots.

#11 ·
You may have already done it mikebiker but you might take the grips off and look everywhere for some initials or some kind of marking. Some engravers mark their work and others don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.