Barrel-Cylinder gap ?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Barrel-Cylinder gap ?

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Is there any amount of endshake that is acceptable or must it measure .000?

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    I service b.p. opentops and when I'm done with them they have .002-.0025 bbl/cyl. gap. This gap prevents cylinder/arbor binding because less fouling is allowed to escape. Many reports of 100+ rounds fired (consecutively) with no binding. I measure b/c gap with hammer down (fired position) and pulling cylinder fully to the rear. The specs. from other high end (Freedom Arms, Magnum Research) have rather close b/c gaps as well. In Buds offering above, John Linebaugh also mentions that a close gap is most important. I took several things into consideration when gathering what would be my criteria for my service and the b/c gap was (to me) the most important.
    I have one customer that chronographed a 12 string of shots from a Uberti made 3rd Dragoon. A 50gr. charge with .454 rb and felt wad in between produced 1883(low) -1916 (high) fps. !! Seems to work well!

Mike
    Goons Gun Works
    Last edited by Dragoon; 01-24-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1588 times
    I only have 1st Gen SAA and from my reading and still learning the SAA, all my revolvers are shimmed, if required, to a .001 - .002 Endshake max. Some of the revolvers when I get them will have some endshake and I shim them to .001 endshake. I see no problem with .002 but no more. I know this is different than Kuhhnousen recommendations, but they work fine for me.
    saintclair likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5984 times
    Just a short comment;endshake is not the same as bbl. cyl. gap,by stopping the endshake you're able to maintain a constant bbl. cyl. gap.
    Dragoon and Abwehr like this.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Thanks Jim.
    You are right. Since the opentop revolvers don't have a bushing, the endshake is the limiting factor for what could be considered bbl/cyl. gap. Pushing an opentops cylinder forward produces contact with the bbl. I know its a little apples and oranges comparing opentops and SAAs but was trying to show even as nasty as bp is, you can get great results with a .002-.0025 "opening" at the bbl/cyl. The other factor here is every time you cycle the action, the bbl/cyl. contact removes any build up on the cyl. face witch alleviates the lead build up that may result from the bushing (holding bbl/cyl. contact at bay, ie gap) in a SAA or other modern revolvers.

Don"t mean to cause any confusion. The opentops need all the help they can get!lol

Mike
    Goons Gun Works

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    903 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scribbler View Post
    I have a 2014 production P1850 in .45 cal and the gap measures about .003 if I remember correctly. I have it on good authority that .003 to .005 is normal with the hammer all the way back. Be sure to measure from both sides of the cylinder to assure symmetry.
    So the barrel-cylinder gap for 3rd G should be .003-.005" and the gap for 1st, 2nd, 3rd (according to Kuhnhausen) should be .006-.008". If I take limits of these 2 statements gap should be .003-.008"? Is it safe to shoot if gap is slightly less or slightly more. Also, when should gap be measured-hammer down or hammer full back? THANKS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    903 times
    Forgive my poor reading skills as I see upon further reading most of my questions are answered. But still puzzled on tolerances below or above the .006 and .008 figure considering that my unfired 2nd G has no gap (smallest feeler guage is .0015) and just less than .0015 at half cock.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwichCadet View Post
    So the barrel-cylinder gap for 3rd G should be .003-.005" and the gap for 1st, 2nd, 3rd (according to Kuhnhausen) should be .006-.008". If I take limits of these 2 statements gap should be .003-.008"? Is it safe to shoot if gap is slightly less or slightly more. Also, when should gap be measured-hammer down or hammer full back? THANKS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    903 times
    Checked two new 2nd G 125th Anniversary revolvers and both have gap slightly less than .0015? So my perception/opinion is that gaps much less than the .006" are being manufactured and therefore ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwichCadet View Post
    Forgive my poor reading skills as I see upon further reading most of my questions are answered. But still puzzled on tolerances below or above the .006 and .008 figure considering that my unfired 2nd G has no gap (smallest feeler guage is .0015) and just less than .0015 at half cock.

Member #
    Liked
    3203 times
    One potential issue with very tight cylinder/bbl gap is that end shake needs to be completely eliminated or you could end up with the cylinder rubbing against the bbl, and binding the cylinder.

Best regards,
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Barrel to cylinder gap also depends on forcing cone and cylinder throat, not to mention alignment of chamber to bore.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links