Given a choice, between 2 3rd generation single actions, what would you do?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Given a choice, between 2 3rd generation single actions, what would you do?

Member #
    Liked
    70 times

Question Given a choice, between 2 3rd generation single actions, what would you do?

I know, someone will say "buy both". I can't. One is a 7 1/2" New Frontier, blue & color case in 45 Colt. The other choice is a Sheriff's Model , blue & color case with 44-40 & 44 spec. cylinders. Both are 90% fired guns, both are same money. Other than personal preference, does one have more potential than the other? The NF is in standard Styrofoam with decent sleeve. The Sheriffs model is in wood lock up box with framed glass lid. Thanks ! Dave Today (Monday the 11th) thought I'd add another comment. I have a double action 1878 model chambered in 44-40 . Wanted to fire it but didn't feel comfortable with that ammo. I have tons of 44 Russian & love it in that old shooter. At 25 yards it's dead on with the plus of like shooting 22 shorts in a gun chambered for 22lr. If I go with the Sheriff's Mod. , I really have 3 ammo choices including the 44 Russian. Of course the 45 Schofield is compatible with the 45 Colt gun, but just try to find it. Having a great time reading your comments. I have until tomorrow to finish collecting opinions. THANKS! P.S. Corrected myself...will never say flat-top again when talking about a Colt S.A. OK?
    Last edited by Username; 05-11-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    7946 times
    Welcome to the Colt Forum Dave !!

I enjoy my 3rd gen SAA in .45 Colt...so, that's the one ( gen / caliber ) I would pick !

( BTW...I was presented an oak presentation box for mine )
    Username likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    2838 times
    1st, what is the "same money", what are they asking for them? A 90% early 3rd gen 7-1/2" New Frontier in 45 Colt shouldn't be much more than $900.00 - $1,200.00, I'm not so sure on the Sheriff's model, but probably in the same range. If the shop or person your looking at is asking much more than that, I'd keep looking.

2nd, I'm not a big fan of the Sheriff's models, but I do like the NFs, so assuming that the price is right I'd go for the NF. Others will feel just the opposite.

3rd, generally the NFs and the Sheriff's models are less desirable than the standard model SAAs.

Best regards,
    Username and feralmerril like this.
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    I'd let caliber and barrel length decide for me. YOU are the one shooting it, which do YOU want to shoot? The duel cylinder is so cool but if you just plan on plinking the longer barrel and adjustable sights may be better for you. Conversely, if you do a lot of woods walking or hiking and want an easier to carry gun, that sheriffs can't be beat, and 44 special is such a sweet load. So you have to decide intended use.
    Username likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Thanks MUCH! As you have indicated, it appears that sellers on Gunbroker are looking for more $ on standard frame 3rd generation than for the flat-tops which confused me because the NF type had to cost more to mfg. GO FIGURE! The 2 cylinder issue is so cool though! Decisions, decisions!

Member #
    Liked
    349 times
    Neither? Maybe not, but it's an option. First up, are either of these the configuration you envision when you see yourself with an SAA? If you've been thinking of one and it's different, hold out for the barrel length and /or caliber you really want. If the long barrel is in fact a New Frontier (sounds like it) and the Sheriff's model is without ejector (they mostly are), you couldn't get two 3rd Generation Colt SAA more different than each other, total opposite ends of the range.

I insisted on a 4 3/4 in .45 for my first. I was open to options after that, but happily #2 turned out to be a StoreKeepers model in .45, very happy with that.

If neither is calling to you, pass on both (unless they are a smokin' hot deal, then buy the one you think might be easier to sell at a profit to fund the one you really want).

Both are great calibers, while I prefer .45, .44 Spl. is awesome in my only non single action revolver, and 44/40 carries the distinction of being the cowboy's choice mostly if he wanted his carbine to share a cartridge with his side arm. Merits to each. For me, it'd be the Sheriff's Model.
    Bounty hunter "Man's gotta do somethin' for a livin' these days" "Dyin' aint much of a livin', Boy" Josey Wales

Member #
    Liked
    496 times
    In my opinion, it depends on what your intended use is. Just plinking and target shooting - go with the NF. Sex appeal and possible carry - go with the Sheriff's. I have carried the Sheriff's in .44 special and love it. They are both $1,000 + or - guns - so your choice.

Member #
    Liked
    3597 times
    I would pass on both.
    smutt and Yahoody like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1967 times
    FYI, the New Frontier is not typically referred to as "flat-top". That moniker is reserved for the original Flat-Top Target model.

Of course, in Rugerese, a "flat-top" is a 1955-1962 Blackhawk. Or the late model guns with the same topstrap configuration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    13012 times
    Quote Originally Posted by weagle99 View Post
    I would pass on both.
    yep

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links