I can't sign in.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FireForEffect

Thread: I can't sign in.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

I can't sign in.

So, how did I post this? I sign in, it says I'm not signed in, I ignore the demand for my password, then I open a category and THEN I'm signed in and can post. Maybe I shouldn't complain; it gets me here.
    Last edited by milgunsguy; 04-10-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Could be cookie related. Have you tried testing with a different browser? Do you also have the "remember me" box ticked?

Niall

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    thanks for the reply

"remember me" doesn't help.

Weird thing: until I log in I can't see this one particular thread we're in. My last complaining thread is visible, and all of the others, just not this one. Then I go through the sign-in/open a thread procedure that results in my finally getting logged in and then I can see this thread.
    Last edited by milgunsguy; 04-12-2019 at 04:31 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Hello there,

This is intentional. Users who aren't logged in will notice a delay in certain sections.
    The reason for this is to optimize the best experience for users who are logged out.
    This will also help with site speed and security for logged in users.

Ed

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hello there,

This is intentional. Users who aren't logged in will notice a delay in certain sections.
    The reason for this is to optimize the best experience for users who are logged out.
    This will also help with site speed and security for logged in users.

Ed
    I don't believe this is intentional. I am experiencing the same thing (tested in Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox). Up until a week ago I never had any problems.

Was there an update made to the forum anytime recently? There seems to be multiple issues, not just this authentication glitch.

Would it be possible (if updates were made recently) to roll them back and see if that doesn't correct the problems we're experiencing?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    We recently added Cloudflare to the site to provide an optimum experience for users for both site speed and security.
    This programme prioritizes users who are logged in first so visitors to the site won't see the most up to date content. I'd say that's whats going on here.
    There are currently no plans on rolling back on this due to security reasons.

As for the login issue, can you clear your cache and cookies and click the "Remember Me" box when you log in?
    Test it a bit and let us know if it's still happening.
    If you login and it says that you're not logged in, refresh the page and see if that worked.

Ed

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    We recently added Cloudflare to the site to provide an optimum experience for users for both site speed and security.
    This programme prioritizes users who are logged in first so visitors to the site won't see the most up to date content. I'd say that's whats going on here.
    There are currently no plans on rolling back on this due to security reasons.

As for the login issue, can you clear your cache and cookies and click the "Remember Me" box when you log in?
    Test it a bit and let us know if it's still happening.
    If you login and it says that you're not logged in, refresh the page and see if that worked.

Ed
    So I cleared the cache and cookies (and even the browsing history) and then logged out. I went ahead and rebooted the Chromebook while I was at it.

I checked the "Remember Me" box and enetered my login credentials. When I logged in I got a page that says;

"Thank you for logging in, FireForEffect.
    Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you."

This is what I usually see whenever I log in, so I am used to seeing that screen. After a couple of seconds, the site does its job and redirects me to the forum main page. But it looks like I'm not logged in. In fact, there is a yellow highlighted box at the top of the forum with text in it that reads,

“If you have not yet received a password reset, please re-issue one here:

Reset My Password

This will send a password reset to your email address on file. A reminder that your email address on your account must be valid and working to receive the reset request.”

This is unsettling since I just logged in and got the “Thanks for logging in” message.

But...if I click on any link or the refresh button on my browser, it then looks like I am logged in.

I have consistently reproduced this same behavior several times just to make sure I wasn’t doing something wrong. I mentioned this earlier, but I believe this started with the most recent update to the forum. There are some other issues that started at the same time as well, but I’ve addressed those in other threads.

Last edited by FireForEffect; 04-15-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FireForEffect View Post
    "Thank you for logging in, FireForEffect.
    Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you."

This is what I usually see whenever I log in, so I am used to seeing that screen. After a couple of seconds, the site does its job and redirects me to the forum main page. But it looks like I'm not logged in. In fact, there is a yellow highlighted box at the top of the forum with text in it that reads,
    So after this occurs, can you refresh the page and see if you're actually logged in?
    The site might be redirecting you to the cached version of the site, which is why it's saying you're not logged in.

Ed

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    So after this occurs, can you refresh the page and see if you're actually logged in?
    The site might be redirecting you to the cached version of the site, which is why it's saying you're not logged in.

Ed
    Yes, I can refresh the page and it then shows that I am logged in. However...I am clearing the cache, closing Chrome, reopening it, and then logging in to the forum. So I doubt that it's showing a cached version of the site.

But if I try this same process from either Firefox or Internet Explorer, I experience the expected behavior. That is, when I log in, I get the "Thank you for logging in, FireForEffect." message and then I see the forum with my avatar and my forum name on the page indicating that I am logged in.

So the problem seems to now be confined to Chrome only, and in reality, this is such a minor issue that it doesn't bother me in the slightest. The only reason I pursued it at all was based on the fact that there seemed to be multiple issues with the most recent software update.

As far as I'm concerned the login issue is resolved.

Thanks for sticking with me through the entire process.
    admin likes this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FireForEffect View Post
    Yes, I can refresh the page and it then shows that I am logged in. However...I am clearing the cache, closing Chrome, reopening it, and then logging in to the forum. So I doubt that it's showing a cached version of the site.

But if I try this same process from either Firefox or Internet Explorer, I experience the expected behavior. That is, when I log in, I get the "Thank you for logging in, FireForEffect." message and then I see the forum with my avatar and my forum name on the page indicating that I am logged in.

So the problem seems to now be confined to Chrome only, and in reality, this is such a minor issue that it doesn't bother me in the slightest. The only reason I pursued it at all was based on the fact that there seemed to be multiple issues with the most recent software update.

As far as I'm concerned the login issue is resolved.

Thanks for sticking with me through the entire process.
    We may just be waiting on an update from chrome to fully resolve this.
    -Philip

Sponsored Links