Thread: New Site Update Community

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    379 times

New Site Update Community

Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Cricket and Your Community Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    825 times
    I understand updating requirements and the reasons sound great however, last time it took me a long time to reestablish my user name and password.
    In fact I wasn't a participant for almost a full year.
    Not looking for another issue with that again.
    Bill

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Watching with an open mind.
    ei8ht, 1911Collector and WVCOLT like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9873 times
    Not anticipating any difficulty here.
    I run an 1898 steam powered laptop anyway..........
    big_gus, ei8ht, MarkInTx and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2883 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AEROCOLOR View Post
    I understand updating requirements and the reasons sound great however, last time it took me a long time to reestablish my user name and password.
    In fact I wasn't a participant for almost a full year.
    Not looking for another issue with that again.
    Bill
    Yeah I need a new password about as much as I need a bout of Corona Virus.
    simonp67, ei8ht, sgtsemo and 3 others like this.
    I’d rather be in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.

Member #
    Liked
    17053 times
    Seems to me we didn't have problems until we were purchased by our "friends" to the north. As I said many months ago, this isn't about us and our experience it's about advertising. I saw this coming when the ads started. READ ONLY??? In a time when most of us are stuck at home and appreciate the diversion our forum provides, how STUPID do you have to be to stop all contributions and interaction for a prolonged and indeterminate period of time. If we half to start over on a "new platform" why not take our ball and go play somewhere else?
    I said it before, WE ARE THE FORUM. Without our contributions, content and clicks which directly affect advertising revenue, this place is simply an empty hole in the web.
    Kerz, simonp67, ei8ht and 18 others like this.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    306 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    Seems to me we didn't have problems until we were purchased by our "friends" to the north. As I said many months ago, this isn't about us and our experience it's about advertising. I saw this coming when the ads started. READ ONLY??? In a time when most of us are stuck at home and appreciate the diversion our forum provides, how STUPID do you have to be to stop all contributions and interaction for a prolonged and indeterminate period of time. If we half to start over on a "new platform" why not take our ball and go play somewhere else?
    I said it before, WE ARE THE FORUM. Without our contributions, content and clicks which directly affect advertising revenue, this place is simply an empty hole in the web.
    Then you can buy it and set up the advertising and underlying software infrastructure anyway you like. I know change is hard for some but that is the only constant in life.
    Joel6180 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    381 times
    In my previous “life” before retirement, I had line responsibility for 8 websites in the company. I rapidly “learned” from the responsible site administrators the difficulty of maintaining these sites and the blessings and challenges of diverse users never mind a platform change... Therefore, please accept my thanks for all you do. This site is heads and shoulders among others and I’m sure it will be even better once you have made the transition. THANK YOU!
    BusaDave, hoya74 and saintclair like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    38847 times
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    . Once the migration begins,
    the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.
    We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community
    and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Cricket and Your Community Team
    I might not be here when you get back...
    saintclair, jringo8769 and WVCOLT like this.
    ei8ht of 9ine
    Colt Assimilator
    Amateur Historian
    Retired TV Guy
    -------------------------------------Wanted Police or Agency Marked Colt Hammerless

Member #
    Liked
    306 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ei8ht View Post
    I might not be here when you get back...
    "Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you" as a wise man used to say. Go ahead and throw down and pitch a "wall eyed fit" and get it out of your system lol! Talk about overreaction. Jeeezzzz
    sublimert70 and Joel6180 like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links