• 1 Post By LeverActionBill
  • 1 Post By Chris1974

Thread: SAA BP frame base pin

Member #
    Liked
    58 times

SAA BP frame base pin

Greetings,

I’m looking for a base pin and base pin screw to match my 1895 Blackpowder frame SAA. I have found some new manufactured ones but prefer something to match the condition of the firearm.

Any suggestions?

thank you
    C.F. Hamer

Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1974 View Post
    Greetings,

I’m looking for a base pin and base pin screw to match my 1895 Blackpowder frame SAA. I have found some new manufactured ones but prefer something to match the condition of the firearm.

Any suggestions?

thank you

Chris,

I had a similar dilemma when I couldn't find an 'original' or vintage peep sight for my Marlin Model 1897 lever action .22. And even if I had found one, I probably wouldn't have wanted to pay the price for it. I ended up buying a new, blued version and it stuck out like a sore thumb on the gun. I put it in a dish of white vinegar and in about 30 minutes I had a sight that could pass for a gray/brown patina. It's not ideal but it's a whole lot better than a bright blue sight on a 110 year old rifle.

However, if you decide to go this route keep a close eye on the process. It doesn't take long for the blue to disappear and you have to watch so you don't "over-cook" it.

Good luck.

Member #
    Liked
    4578 times
    Don’t be afraid to do the work your self. It’s only a base pin.
    Be sure it fits your frame and cylinder well then you can use the technique Husker shows.
    Be careful not to ding the bearing surface of the base pin if you are going to distress it. Do just front protruding tip.
    All the pin doesn’t need patina’d, just the exposed front.
    I’ve used cold blue, Browning solution and even some of my own blood to match new parts to old.
    MarkInTx likes this.
    All SAA work. Check out my webpage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Ok I will buy a new one and try to make it match myself.

Thanks fellas!
    LeverActionBill likes this.
    C.F. Hamer

Member #
    Liked
    645 times
    I asked an old gunsmith if he had some rear sight filler blanks that would match my 1897 Marlin. He said to buy a new one, and carry it around with your keys and pocket change for awhile. It is in process right now, left pocket.

Charlie

Sponsored Links