Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on pawn at a LGS. It’ll “come out” in 15 days. What is a fair price???

Attachments

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
$800/1000 based on the limited photos of the gun itself. $750 buy price. JMO D*

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
That looks to be a very nice nickel DS (dating to 1972) with serial number matching original box. I'd feel comfortable paying up to $1000 OTD.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
That's gotta be among the first fully shrouded barrel Detective Special made since that version was introduced in 1972.

Reactions: Hootch56

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The original owner traded it in for another gun and some cash. He said he has the original box of ammo that he bought with it in 1972. The shop owner emailed me with pics when it came in and I saw it in person yesterday when I was picking up a shotgun.
He won’t set a price until the gun becomes available to be sold in 2 weeks. He will call me when the pawn hold is released. He estimated it will be “in the $700 range”.

All the paperwork is in the box.

Best,
Charles

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
The day it's available for sale I'd be waiting at the door for the store to open with cash in hand.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would and I don't even like nickel guns.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
There's a flaw at the top of the left stock. That should be your "bargaining chip".

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I have to wonder why everyone is saying it's a $1,000 gun? I bought a 70s-80s electoless nickle Detective Special 3-4 years ago for under $400. Got a 98% shiny nickle one from 1965 last year for $700. At a gun shop and show respectively. Would I buy the OPs for $700? Maybe. For $1,000? Not I, but I suppose there is a range of what people will pay on a national internet auction. I didn't think the 70s Detectives were very collectible, comparatively.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I have to wonder why everyone is saying it's a $1,000 gun? I bought a 70s-80s electoless nickle Detective Special 3-4 years ago for under $400. Got a 98% shiny nickle one from 1965 last year for $700. At a gun shop and show respectively. Would I buy the OPs for $700? Maybe. For $1,000? Not I, but I suppose there is a range of what people will pay on a national internet auction. I didn't think the 70s Detectives were very collectible, comparatively.
That's what they go for here in Central Virginia. A brand new in the box nickel detective is pretty rare around here. The last one I saw at my LGS was in 2010.

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
Over the past 12 to 18 months true "LNIB" nickel Detective Specials from that era typically sold in the $1000 to $1250 range. Blue examples run a few hundred less, but the current DS market is running about 20% lower than last year. I'd still grab the OP's gun for a grand as the market demand is sure to return...

Reactions: Hootch56 and Kerz
1 - 15 of 15 Posts