Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
That's actually pretty cool. A very professional job but the seller says nothing about whether Colt's did it or not. I guess it can't be lettered without a serial number. :p

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's actually pretty cool. A very professional job but the seller says nothing about whether Colt's did it or not. I guess it can't be lettered without a serial number. :p
I believe the seller does it himself.
I sent him a email asking for the serial number the other half had/has.

Reactions: Colt-SL

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I believe the seller does it himself.
I sent him a email asking for the serial number the other half had/has.
WOW! He does an admirable job. Love to hear what you learn. Is this a fun hobby or what? HA!
I especially like he way he displays the bullets as they encounter the lands and grooves of the barrel and the positioning of the round in the magazine. Very clever. :D

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm not crazy about somebody cutting perfectly good firearms in half. Make a drawing. :(
You can tell from the pictures, it was in poor condition. As a cut-away, I'm not overly impressed. Everything appears to be glued in place. The best sort of cut-away for something like a firearm is one that has just enough material removed so one can see the function of the internal parts. Seeing the mechanical function is the key; that one is no better than a drawing. It is also the "wrong" half as the function of the manual safety is missed.

I don't know if it is the same seller, but some time back, someone had a similar homemade cut-away of a 1903 Hammerless listed on Gunbroker and they had a lot of the parts "installed" wrong. I remember the main-spring was upside-down and the disconnector and sear were jumbled in some weird way.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You can tell from the pictures, it was in poor condition. As a cut-away, I'm not overly impressed. Everything appears to be glued in place. The best sort of cut-away for something like a firearm is one that has just enough material removed so one can see the function of the internal parts. Seeing the mechanical function is the key; that one is no better than a drawing.
Yes, but doing what you're saying takes wit, that only takes a bandsaw. :bang_wall:

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I'm not crazy about somebody cutting perfectly good firearms in half. Make a drawing. :(
That, my friend, is a perfectly thought-out conclusion and I have to totally agree with you. But half of me goes back to a thought process of envisioning myself holding a drawing versus an actual half gun!

I like the half gun concept; just not enough to pay the going freight! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I don't know if it is the same seller, but some time back, someone had a similar homemade cut-away of a 1903 Hammerless listed on Gunbroker and they had a lot of the parts "installed" wrong. I remember the main-spring was upside-down and the disconnector and sear were jumbled in some weird way.
It was the same seller, "lugercollector".
Here is the earler mixed up pistol....
1/2 of serial number 487408

pix419551940.jpg pix230681653.jpg wm_5871020.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
And now for the other half of the story...(slight pun intended)

The current 1/2 32 Hammerless that is for sale on GB was/is S/N 299916.

Colt 1903 sn 72836 and sn 299916 018.JPG b.JPG

Another 32 Hammerless also has been cut in half

, Colt 1903 sn 72836 and sn 299916 016.JPG Colt 1903 sn 72836 and sn 299916 010.JPG
it is/was S/N 72836 a type II bushing gun.

Reactions: bruno38

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
And now for the other half of the story...(slight pun intended)

The current 1/2 32 Hammerless that is for sale on GB was/is S/N 299916.

View attachment 65416 View attachment 65417

Another 32 Hammerless also has been cut in half

, View attachment 65418 View attachment 65419
it is/was S/N 72836 a type II bushing gun.
I think some of the parts must be mixed between the two. The one currently listed has a retaining screw for the safety/hammer pin -- consistent with a barrel-bushing, or very early Type III, gun. The grips are early type too, those aren't proper for a 299,xxx gun. Did you get your information and photos from the seller?

On second thought, maybe that screw is just a screw used to act as a hammer pin (and not an early type "retaining" screw). The grip is still wrong for that serial number. (Possibly pulled from the older one?)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts