Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased from an out of state FFL dealer a Combat Commander .45 ss NIB that was advertisied as a "100 year" Anniversiary handgun.
Upon inspection of the box it noted the 100 year designation and a serial number. No Problem
Upon inspection of the handgun the 100 year roll mark was missing from the slide although the serial number on the handgun matched the one on the box.
Contated Colt who told me that this was NOT a 100 year anniversay gun since it was producted on 01-12-2012 and not in 2011.
Three question arise in my decision to either return it or to keep it since the selling FFL was totally aware of the problem

1. How many, if any, 2012 combat commanders were produced that were BOX labeled incorrectly with the 100 year service label on the box & sold to distributiors?

2. Because the label is incorrect, is this gun & box worth the same as the gun if it had the proper box or is is worth more because of the mismatched situation

3. Are there people out there who are looking for such mistakes and in turn would pay a higher premium for the gun and box that I currently have.

I eagerly await your comments as I have to soon make a decision as to keep or return this handgun.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
On a few of their acps Colt did not put the roll mark on the slide but instead the grip medallion represents the 100 years.

·
Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
721 Posts
You own a very nice Colt. They are very hard to find around here.

I think that there was some mistake in marking the box at the factory. I am not sure this adds value, but it makes for a good story. I buy a Colt based on condition and not a rare marking on the box. JMO.

Colt did not place the rollmark on the slide of the Gold Cup and the Combat Elite since they have their own rollmark.

I doubt the 100 Year rollmark will ever be worth much more than any other Colt. I say that while owning four:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts