Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YAp0S65.jpg

Should I Get A 10mm or .45 ACP?

If you want an autoloading big-bore, the two most obvious choices are going to be down to 10mm vs. .45 ACP. There are others, of course. The .44 Automag is coming back, there are the Wildey magnums, you could also get a Desert Eagle and so on.

However, if you don't feel like blowing almost $2 per round, the 10mm and .45 caliber rounds are really the most realistic choice.

Which is better? Well, the question is "better for what?" Both rounds are proven performers, but also have certain best uses. The bigger, slower, heavier .45 ACP is a pure personal protection round. The 10mm is a true all 'rounder, but makes certain demands of the person carrying it. Which is best for you is really the question.

Which will be, though? Let's go over that a little more.

Continue reading at: 10mm vs .45 ACP: Battle Of The Big Bore Bullets - Alien Gear Holsters Blog

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have five-inch 1911s in both .45 ACP and 10mm. There is not a lot of difference in felt recoil. I also have a Glock G40 10mm with the six-inch barrel and fifteen round magazines. The 10mm overlaps the ballistics of the .357 magnum with both topping out around 800 foot-pounds of muzzle energy. I carry Buffalo Bore or Underwood 180 grain JHP 10mm or Winchester Silvertip 175 grain 10mm.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Just purchased a RIA 1911a1 in 10mm...and my 3 other 1911a1's are in .45 ACP...to include a Colt Gold Cup National Match.

{so new...I gotta use the stock photo from their website }

I like both rounds...and yes, the price of 10mm ammo has come down quite a bit. Local LGS still has it for $29.99 for a box 0f 50.

But I just bought 1,000 rounds of FMJ for $15.70 per box and 500 rounds of JHP for $18.00 a box of 50...online @ Sportsman's Guide and MidwayUSA.

Just waited for the free shipping promo codes to pop up and bingo...1500 rounds of 10mm.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The 45 is the traditional round. I have to say I love the "bark" of the 10mm out of my Colt Delta Gold Cup though. I like to run them a little warm and reload my own. That was the way 10mm was intended. Many ammo makers today load the 10mm Auto very weak. Sometimes they shoot like the 40 S&W. Properly loaded, the 10mm Auto "booms" almost like the 41 Magnum. In fact, hotter loads fall between the 357 and 41 Magnum in ballistic performance.

Colt Delta Gold Cup A.jpg

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
The Sellier & Bellot FMJ in 10mm is what I just bought 1000 rounds of from Sportsman's Guide.

Better price at Target Sport USA by 1.70 a box...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
That's a nice Delta Elite GC dkay...!!
Thanks. It's a sweet shooter. BIG BOOM when you squeeze the trigger...LOL! I really like your RIA 10mm too. The quality on them is amazing. They are a lot of gun for the $$.

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
I like both .45 and 10 mm, and they provide lots of enjoyment. I have shot someone with a .45 and the results were pretty good since it was military issue ammo. I would not want to get shot with either of the rounds, besides I am an old fart now and I think it would really hurt.

Colt 10mm Locked Back.jpg Wison Combat 2016.jpg

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I like both .45 and 10 mm, and they provide lots of enjoyment. I have shot someone with a .45 and the results were pretty good since it was military issue ammo. I would not want to get shot with either of the rounds, besides I am an old fart now and I think it would really hurt.
Thank you for your service to our great nation wolfcoln...!!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I had my delta made up for a Texas barbecue, just polished. I use the glock 20 when out on the property in the Honda. I have a stash of old Norma that are pretty hot and formidable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts