Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm more of a 1911 enthusiast (still learning), but am developing an interest in SAA's. My local shop has 2nd Gen. SAA with 7.5 inch barrel for sale in .38 Special. SN dates it to 1959. Everything looks original, including the black plastic prancing pony grips. It has some high point edge wear, fine tracking line on cylinder, but no major scratches or corrosion. Lockup is tight. I'd say 95% condition and that's being conservative. Anything else I should be looking for? They're asking $1200 for it. My only reference for prices are the Blue Book and online auctions. Should I look elsewhere? Is the price reasonable? Or is it too expensive and/or considered collectible to shoot? I'd rather shoot it than stare at it. I see new 3rd Gen's. for close to $1400 plus tax these days, with used 3rd Gen's. going for around $1000 or more depending on condition, caliber, barrel length etc.

·
Registered
916 Posts
i don't follow the 2nd gen market very close but, if it is as god as you say, its a bargin, most 2nd gen. saas start around $2000. i'm sure someone will be along that may know better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shop selling this particular SAA and other guns does not display their guns in the shop. They're more of a pawn shop than anything. They advertise their guns online only and bring them out from the back to show me and other customers who are in the know. I've bought a couple of guns from them over the years. She (the owner) often doesn't know what she's selling or their value. Last October, they sold an all matching DGFM /FMAP Argentine Colt for $300 before I could jump on it :bang_wall:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
If you want one to shoot, that is a good price. If you want one as a base gun for something custom, that is a good price. If you want to roll it to try to make a buck, you will find that .38 Specials priced higher than that can take a long time to sell in that condition. Even NIB, they can be slow movers, despite their relative scarcity.

If I saw such a gun for $1200 at a local shop, I'd seriously consider it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If it is a 95% gun, that is not a bad price for a shooter or project gun. Second Generations have softened quite a bit over the past 18 months or so and as Cubrock indicated, in 38 Special, can be difficult to sell. I have seen several on Gunbroker that go without a bid. 45 Colt is the most popular (and in demand) by far, except for the 44 Special of which relatively few were made.

Wilkerson indicates 355 were produced in that configuration in 1959.

Hope above is helpful.

BlackDog

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: Homerfan

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Not meant to be derogatory
Actually, calling the Colt Trademark a Prancing Pony is derogatory. The founder of the company was Samuel Colt, not Samuel Pony.

One could also argue that Prancing Pony sounds feminine, thus an attempt to make fun of the man and the company.

I equate it with the odd Winchester collector who calls his guns Winnies :(

John Gross

·
Registered
137 Posts
Actually, calling the Colt Trademark a Prancing Pony is derogatory. The founder of the company was Samuel Colt, not Samuel Pony.

One could also argue that Prancing Pony sounds feminine, thus an attempt to make fun of the man and the company.

I equate it with the odd Winchester collector who calls his guns Winnies :(

John Gross
Or sellers who describe their guns as "minty". I wanna shoot the damned thing... not taste it!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I've noticed the .38 Spl SAA's seem to sit a long while, but that's OK. I'm going to shoot it. Anyways, I'm going back to the place that is selling this 2nd Gen SAA and inspect it again. I'm hoping they won't mind if I remove the cylinder to inspect the bore with a bore light. Again this is a pawn shop and not your usual gun store, so I hope they don't refuse or get bent out of shape over it. Feel free to chime in on anything else I should look for. Again, I'm relatively new to SAA's. Thank you.

·
Administrator
7,430 Posts
For whatever reason , the large bore SAA has always sold better in most cases . The economy is slow for many . Make them an offer .

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Here's a few 2nd Generation 38 Specials that have sold at Gunbroker in the last few weeks. Should give you some idea of actual sales. Note that he has the last one listed as a 3rd Generation from 1976, but by his serial number it is a 1956 2nd Generation. The first one I bought. Probably a bit high on the price but it was exactly what I wanted.

Also check out ones that did not sell, as this gives you an idea of how much people are willing to pay.

John Gross

Colt 1873 SAA 38 Special, 1956 Mfg. 483 : Cowboy Action Shooting at GunBroker.com

Colt 1873 SAA 38 Special, 1957 Mfg. 487 : Cowboy Action Shooting at GunBroker.com

Colt 1873 SAA 38 Special, 1976 Mfg. 486 : Cowboy Action Shooting at GunBroker.com

Reactions: 1911er

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent info. Thank you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick update. Still haven't gotten around to buying the aformentioned .38 Spl 2nd Gen. SAA because I bought this .45 LC 2nd Gen. at a local auction for $1100 tax included. Grips are not original, and although used, it is in excellent condition and dates to 1970 (my birth year!) The funny thing is they had another with matching grips (same consignor), but it was a 3rd Gen., dating to 1980. That one went for $950 all in.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Man I like that that one !! I think the grips are great !! Specially if it's to be a shooter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man I like that that one !! I think the grips are great !! Specially if it's to be a shooter.
The grips are OK. I'd have preferred plain walnut. They're actually a bit loose. Here's a pic of the other side. The "matching" 3rd Gen. was clearly for the other hand as the grips were the same, just opposite. Nothing like carrying a pair of "six-shooters!" This one I'm going to shoot for sure!

If you would be interested, I have third gen 45LC 5 1/2 in blue in the box for about the same price.
Thanks, I'm all tapped out for now, but I'll keep you in mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.