Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive been watching the Pa Cable Networks running of the battle walks for the past three days with the 150 anniversary of the battle wrapping up today.And it reminded me of this encounter on the battlefield I had in 2009. This is my true experience.

im relaying to you a MIDDAY experience I had in 2009.

Now, im a STRONG skeptic by nature and most often need VISUAL confirmation if you want me to believe anything.

I think it was March or April, and after spending time at Little Round Top, drove down to walk through Devils Den.

I was with a friend, and we were in DD where the trail went around in a semicircle a large boulder. Walking South circling the boulder to the right,

i turned around to be confronted by a figure in the middle of the trail who i didnt see before and DID NOT HEAR following me.. It was not empty in the park, but being early spring it was not crowded.

I had no reason to turn around as i was walking with my friend circling to the right and going up, West, on the trail. When i turned around it was a very still encounter. It was very breezy that day, but got really calm when "IT" spoke to me. I never uttered a word, and IT did not know me from Adam.

This person was a man, who was not dressed in 21st century dress. He was dressed in what i would call basic townsperson clothes -long sleeve shirt, and pants, perhaps suspenders but I cant recall clearly. Like a Huck Finn simple country outfit. No hat, and if memory serves me i remember thinking to myself this person doesnt have any shoes on!! Dumbfounded, i cannot recall a face, or haircolor. He appeared originally with both hands stuck in his front pockets, at ease.

Again i didnt have a reason to turn around, and my friend unknowingly walked off without me in our original direction we were going, and im pretty aware of my surroundings at all times, and was alittle startled that this person got so close without my hearing them and sneaking up on me. I would put a distance of about 8-10 feet between us. And when I first saw him, they were already standing still, not walking toward me. What would have happened had I not turned around? He wasn't chasing me to catch me to tell me something.

As mentioned, i did not speak to it, being startled, just stared at it, and it said to me "what youre looking for is over there" and he pointed behind me to the South along the ridge.

I IMMEDIATELY spun back around in place to look for my friend to see if they were seeing what i was seeing. They werent there having gone up the trail without me. But i was looking to them to see if i was the only one seeing this.

JUST AS QUICKLY, I swung back to face this "person". Yep, you guessed it--GONE!!! These were fractions of seconds of my turning away amd turning back. No footsteps (the same NON footsteps that allowed them to sneak up on me in the first place). No other folks on the trail, no VOICES of people I couldnt see.

I am a skeptic, i am a doubting thomas by nature. Well I RAN AFTER this "person" knowing that what had just happened didnt seem quite right. I grew up in the city, you have to be aware who's around you at all times for safety. There was no sneaking up on me.

I circled the boulder heading due north and going to my left now, the opposite direction of my original direction, and I did not trot. I double timed it.

Around the opposite side of the boulder, NO ONE. No other visitor people down the hill toward the "valley of death" either. No voices. No footsteps. No one in the grass where they could have sneaked quietly off the path. I looked, on purpose. I remember straining to find someone so I could have an explanation.

No one. Gone.

I couldnt believe at the time what had happened. Dismissed it at the time. Havent forgotten it though. What did the person mean? I dont know.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
First of all, do I believe in ghosts? The Bible very clearly speaks of them, but usually having a Satanic connection, or at least evil.

I was just discussing visions Sunday night at church with a student of mine who told me of a vision his wife said she had some time after the tragic death of their son.

When I get to Heaven, maybe all such things will be made known.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really dont have any thought on it as far as ghosts. I just know the encounter was not routine.

So much of it was out of the ordinary for that day- the calm of those brief seconds on a very breezy day, his anachronistic getup, the speaking to me, WHAT they said, and the unusual calm of this persons demeanor.

The field was such a place of carnage and suffering, i guess I figure anybody appearing would be in pain. i dont know why they'd want to talk to me.

I cant find a good explanation. Its why i ran after them, trying to find them.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Darn! I wish you could have been able to talk with him at a little more length!

Were you looking for anything? ( ie: his statement about it being over 'there' and so on...)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No Oyeboten, just walking along in the opposite direction from where this " person" appeared.

I can recall the startled, frozen feeling even today. It wasnt until i broke away to look behind me to my original direction, and then returned to focus on them and they were gone, that i could move to chase and try to find them.

Bizarre is not a good explanation. Bewilderment and frozen in place is better. Like what I imagine a Yeti sighting would be like. You're seeing with your eyes, while your mind is searching for explanation and soaking up hints and details in milliseconds.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It seems that a lot of people through the years have seen something similar. People think that he's a former member of the 1st Texas Infantry that were stationed there. He often says something like that, usually to people taking photos. I remember seeing that on 'Haunted History' and reading it on several websites.

I've seen what I believe are spirits from the Civil War more than once.

Reactions: serb

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Some years back radio guy Micheal Medved was talking to someone and Gettysburg came up. Like me he looks at non faith based things from a pragmatic and logic based perspective. He said he saw something at Gettysburg when he was in college and couldn't talk about it, then moved on. A few years later I called and mentioned this and asked him what he saw. He said he and a friend snuck in to the battlefield and spent the night on Cemetery Ridge. Then he hesitantly explained it. He said they were kicking back late at night and he heard something strange. He got up and said he saw a grey mass of men, trudging dronelike past him with no acknowledgment of his presence. I forgot if the fact they were grey was that they were confederate or just spectrelike in the darkness.
This guy made a point before of not talking about this before, he freaked him out so much, so I believe he saw something.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I was in that part of the country for the first time on a job interview. I took advantage of the situation to make a half-day tour (no near long enough) of Gettysburg battle site. While there, I met a superintendent of schools who lived there and walked the battleground on a regular basis. I asked him about spectral experiences. He really didn't want to tell me until he understood that I believed in ghosts. He said he had two experiences, one of those was in the Devil's Den area.

Reactions: serb

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My wife and I love history, and I really like the civil war stuff. We spent a long weekend in Gettysburg at a bed and breakfast. We did a midnight ghost tour, and visited the same places where they fimed some "Haunted History" show on History channel. The guide was working way to hard to make something happen that was "ghost like". By the end of the tour she had people seeing and hearing all kinds of things. Pictures of ghosts on their cell phone cameras etc..... I really do not believe in any of that. We ended up in a house on main street, where the woman civilian got shot and killed baking bread or something. We are in the basement, ad they turn the lights off, and this guide starts asking "ghosts" to make themselves known. I almost laughed out loud. Then she says that where I am sitting some crazed lunatic that lived in the house during the war, comes back and demands the seat if someone is sitting in it. I said "ok" looking forward to it. My wife told me to behave, needless to say no one asked me for my seat alive or dead. I can see how people can get over excited, because they really want to see something, anything. I guess I really do not expect to see anything so I don't. Peace.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Seriously?

Wow ive never heard that about the Texas guy. This guy wasn't carrying anything that would have given him away as a soldier.

Ive been reading about Gettysburg for over 25 years and never heard that DD was haunted. AND it was midday, weird time for a spirit I thought.

Maybe he thought i was looking for a fallen family member on the field.

I was just minding my own biz....as usual.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Blademan, that reminds of those "reality" shows where people walk around with night vision on amnd then they get all exasperated, acting scared, and the cameraman bounces the camera around as if he's being chased. Plus, people want you to think their places are haunted to generate business. That aside, I believe Serb's orig. thread (and I know you're not saying you don't here) and that radio guy belief that he saw something. Me, I never get to see any ghosts!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blademan,

You sound just like me. I surely did not expect to see anything. But when it happens, youre more dumbfounded than scared.

A t least i was. But then my encounter was in daytime.

Im still not sure what I saw. Perhaps it was just a visitor, but i couldnt attest to that.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
My wife and I love history, and I really like the civil war stuff. We spent a long weekend in Gettysburg at a bed and breakfast. We did a midnight ghost tour, and visited the same places where they fimed some "Haunted History" show on History channel. The guide was working way to hard to make something happen that was "ghost like". By the end of the tour she had people seeing and hearing all kinds of things. Pictures of ghosts on their cell phone cameras etc..... I really do not believe in any of that. We ended up in a house on main street, where the woman civilian got shot and killed baking bread or something. We are in the basement, ad they turn the lights off, and this guide starts asking "ghosts" to make themselves known. I almost laughed out loud. Then she says that where I am sitting some crazed lunatic that lived in the house during the war, comes back and demands the seat if someone is sitting in it. I said "ok" looking forward to it. My wife told me to behave, needless to say no one asked me for my seat alive or dead. I can see how people can get over excited, because they really want to see something, anything. I guess I really do not expect to see anything so I don't. Peace.

People wanting or expecting to 'see' something are a whole different Ball Game though.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I had forgotten about it, but, when I was three, sometime in 1956, may parents and I while on a Vacation, stopped at Gettysburg, and, walked out some ways.

I do not remember it much, but, the story my parents told about it, was that all I did once we'd walked out a ways, was I just knelt and leaned forward and sobbed and sobbed and sobbed, and I would not stop. And because this was causing a mild embarrassment, my parents decided it best for us to leave.

I do remember that part well, I just had huge blobs of snot hanging down, and my whole face puffy and red and so on, just sobbing and sobbing. And, that it was totally different than any crying Jag I might otherwise have had or had had ( and, I almost never got into any sort of crying, which was something my parents felt really proud of. )

It was about 'grief'...and profundity...and mostly, profundity somehow.

The only other thing to it, was at some point I asked my parents to get me a Confederate Flag from the Gift Store we'd passed on the way I, which they obligingly did.

They felt the whole thing was a mite 'heavy' with me and that scene, and it freaked them out somewhat.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think there are lot of people with a very active imagination.
And they can imagine they see and hear things anywhere.
Remember the rules. Believe nothing of what you hear, and only 1/2 of what you see.
There are places where the spirits of the dead do walk. One such place is the Amargosa Inn in Death Valley Junction, California.
Most people won't stay there. I enjoy the place.
When I was a child, in my parenst house, a figure would walk the stairway at night, from time to time. The dog would bark at the figure.
Sometimes the piano would play. On it's own. Not a whole tune, just a few notes, here and there.
Those were the good old days, when I had imagination. It's all gone now, at my age, and at night I sleep the sleep of the dead. Nothing wakes me up.
dc

·
Registered
552 Posts
If any of you want to feel creepy, just visit the Sharpsburg, Md. (Antietam) battlefield, down by the old stone bridge (Burnsides bridge), or the battlefield at Malvern Hill near Richmond, Va. Both places are still farm land and are just about as they were at the time of the battles. About the only thing that has been changed are regimental monuments in the corn fields at Antietam and the roads are paved with black top. When you see how peaceful these places are today, it is hard to imagine the thousands of deaths that occurred there. Malvern Hill is "in the middle of nowhere" and is still surrounded by several acres of corn. You view the field and the hill from a 1 lane country road. the only monument is a small iron historical road sign and a civil war 6 pound cannon mounted on an iron repilica gun carriage.
There were so many Confederate casualties, the field turned into a mire from the blood. An absolutely creepy place.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats a pretty powerful experience Oyeboten.

I have to say that today they recreated the Pickett, Pettigrew, Trimble assault, complete with multiple national battle, and state flags.It was very stirring, whatever your politics or history to see those people cross that huge expanse of ground.

And to know the courage and strength that it took to make it under fire..

Amazingly, 300-400 made it over the wall at the copse of trees, to finally be overwhelmed.

The suffering alone is enough to believe that some still walk the fields there.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Somehow I was just tuned in to some profundity of the place, and it overwhelmed me.

Soon as we left, I was fine, and just felt a little achy and delicate for a little while, then, back to my usual Happy-go-Lucky self.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Gettysburg is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in America.
yup I've heard several stories regarding that.
there are many things that happen that aren't rationally or easily explainable. who can really say that unexplainable things are not possible.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.