Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Out of the past DIY antique gun restoration, about 5 years ago, this is a project I did for a client. Discussion about whether restoration is cost-effective, etc., client bought it as-found for $1200 at a gun show, paid me $7100 for the restoration (make lock from scratch plus basic restore) & it sold for 35,000 Euros. I marked my work with my logo & date.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Amazing work. Not every day you see a wheel lock built from scratch.

rayb

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Wonderful stuff rhmc24!

Were the Pistol's Butt and forearm covered in Sharkskin?

Do you have any operable Wheel Locks presently?

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't think it was sharkskin & never figured out how they did that kind of finish back in the 1600s. There are several survivors of this kind of pistol, apparently a batch of them made for some potentate to staff his castle guard. The outside of the ball butt had a lot of damage to the finish which I fixed & painted black, then made a little tool with a flattened end that I dipped into a batch of epoxy I had dyed black, then touched each little dot to replace them. I did a few dry runs on scrap before I got it looking right. Eventually hard to tell where my job blended into the original.

I had about half dozen wheel lock pistols at one time but eventually sold or trade them off. None now. When I simulated work for a living in NY my specialty in collection was 17th century. When I retired back here to OK, I began trading into pieces more popular here in six shooter & Winchester country. I had pieces some dealers & collectors lusted after & I was able to trade for some good stuff.

EDIT - I found this shot in my files, 1640-50 wheellocks, Germanic above, below possibly English ---

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Bob:In todays times in the gun business there are very few CRAFTSMEN left & your certainly one of them.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Oye & Jim, not a lot left here. Turning 90 in January, most of my future is down memory lane. I guess my Dad was right - it's better being a has-been than a never-was.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Thanks Oye & Jim, not a lot left here. Turning 90 in January, most of my future is down memory lane. I guess my Dad was right - it's better being a has-been than a never-was.

Well, yeahhh...definitely, 'Better being a has been than a never was.'

Lol...

Except that from all I can tell, you are a 'Still are'. Still at it..!

You are still doing 'projects', sharing info and inspiration with us (and others too no doubt), still learning, interested, involved, encouraging others.

All of which are rare and splendid and hard to find in this phase of our society's 'values'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.