Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in this forum know what the procedure is to replace the cylinder pin on my 1849 Colt pocket pistol? I can’t seem to find anything on how to replace them with the proper procedure or if they are pressed in or if they are screwed in, I’m not sure and don’t want to take the chance on messing the gun up. Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Does anyone in this forum know what the procedure is to replace the cylinder pin on my 1849 Colt pocket pistol? I can’t seem to find anything on how to replace them with the proper procedure or if they are pressed in or if they are screwed in, I’m not sure and don’t want to take the chance on messing the gun up. Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
hello dvic; has threads and locking pin has to be removed before turning it out. some penetrating oil and a little heat may be helpful.

good luck.
bro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried to find where there the locking pin is located and can’t really find it. Suggestions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tried to find where there the locking pin is located and can’t really find it. Suggestions
hello dvic; has threads and locking pin has to be removed before turning it out. some penetrating oil and a little heat may be helpful.

good luck.
bro
[/QUOTE
hello; look at 12 o'clock high, mark with felt ink pen, let dry, sometimes helps.

regards, bro
Which way does the locking pin drive out? I think I found it but not sure which way to drive it out. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Which way does the locking pin drive out? I think I found it but not sure which way to drive it out. Thanks again
hello; at least 95 times out of 100 the pin will not drive out. a press or drilling are suggested. the frame of the '49 is not good steel, more like high grade malleable or wrought iron. your best option is take it to competent gunsmith who has experience. i am relating 60 years of campfire descriptions including damaging the frame. again, good luck.

regards, bro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice, I don’t plan on ever firing the 1849 again and am just planning to display some American gun history on my wall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts