Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's another pistol I've been working on for a couple of weeks. When I got it, the hand was missing, the trigger spring was broken and all three side-facing frame screws (trigger, cylinder stop and hammer) were hopelessly buggered and tight-rusted in place, plus the trigger screw shaft was broken, allowing the trigger to flop around. The front trigger guard screw and wedge screw were also missing. With internal parts from Lodgewood and screws the previous owner had on hand, plus a LOT of patience to work the rusted screws out, I've pretty much got it back together. The wedge is still missing, and the grips have small pieces missing on both sides, but all the numbers (including arbor and cylinder) match.

This pistol dates from 1853 and I understand only 4,000 of them were made, so even with its warts I'm glad to have found it and own it.

This last picture shows (hopefully) what shape the screws were in

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
1849 Wells Fargo - update

I fit the replacement wedge (Lodgewood) tonight. It required me to remove a little more material than I expected but I eventually got it to where it needed to be. I also used vinegar to remove the bluing from a couple of the screws and the wedge and got the color fairly consistent with the rest of the gun (compare to pics above). Fun project.

Any guesses as to how much this gun might be worth? (no intention of selling BTW) I have a little over $1400 in it. I've seen worse-looking ones (even with frozen cylinders) with higher asking prices.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Your gun is a rare "Short Frame Wells Fargo", only the first 2200 of the 8300 Wells Fargos were made with a short frame, probably left overs of the rammerless "Baby Dragoons". Photo: "Baby Dragoon", "Long Frame Wells Fargo"

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hans, thanks for the heads up. I realized this too after reading about them in The Book of Colt Firearms. I've seen conflicting reports of how many Wells Fargo revolvers were manufactured - Wilson says 6,000, other sources say 4,000 and you mention 8,300.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My source (8300 guns) is Bob Jordans Book "Colt's Pocket 49, it's Evolution, including the Baby Dragoon & Wells Fargo". Another source (5500 guns) is P.L.Shumakers Book "Colt's Variations of the Old Model Pocket Pistol"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.