Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I got this gun when my Dad passed. He got it from his Grand Father. It is in the original box and I have the tools, bullet mold and powder flask. The key is still with the box as well as the paper work from Colt that came with the gun when it was bought originally. I have fired the gun and it woks great. I have only fired 12 rounds through it because I don't want to risk damaging the gun. I know it's hard to tell via photos but if anyone can give me info or where to take it to get info I would appreciate it. The serial number is #99,665 and they all match. Also does the unopened military issued civil war era ammo have any value. I live by Fort Lewis in Wa. State so if anyone knows where I could take it to get info I would appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
You hit the jackpot, Stahl. Colt has limited info available on percussion revolvers but they do have info on Colt Model 1851s from s/n 98000 to 132000, so info on yours should be available. It was manufactured in 1861, by the way. Here is the link for a Colt Archive Letter.

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC > Customer Services > Archive Services.

Colt will research the gun and send you a letter as described on their webpage. It's not cheap. The cost would be $300 for your revolver and the wait is 120-150 days but it would definitely be worth it since you already have its history for at least three generations.

The unopened woodblock package of .36 cal. skin cartridges is highly collectible and worth $500-$600. An identical package was sold by an online antique ammo dealer for $575. It is Civil War-era ammo, but is likely commercial not military, as identified on the front panel.

What a great collection! Congratulations.

·
Registered
552 Posts
In addition to getting a Colt factory letter for your gun, I strongly suggest that you invest in a copy of " '51 Navies" by Nathan L. Swayze, published by The Gun Room Press in New Jersey. It has everything anyone would want to know about this model of Colt percussion revolver. This book comes up regularly for sale on e-Bay and there are numerous copies listed on addall.com.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Blackjack33 thanks for the info. I knew you could tell the year it was made by the serial# but did not know where to go to get the info. I can't believe that the ammo pack is worth that much. I guessed the gun and all might be worth $1,000 or so. It's not for sale just because of the family history but it's nice to know what you have. I have another one with serial #112225 but this one has some interesting marks. I think it's been faked but not sure

It has another CSS mark not the cylinder. If the gun is pointing at you on the small piece of metal between the bullets it has one letter between each hole in the cylinder. Bad description sorry. I tried to take a pic but it so small it did not show up. I know confederate stuff is mostly fake so I have no false hopes but is there a way to tell if it was a confederate used weapon. I live by Fort Lewis in Wa. State is there any where to take it to find out what I have. If it is a fake confederate gun but it is a real 1851 36 cal navy colt is there any value to it or did who ever fake it destroy it. If it has no real value I was thinking of having it completely restored and use it as a shooter. I would appreciate all opinions. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.