Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information on what type/design was on the powder flask that was issued with the 4th generation (1856) 1851 colt navy-navy revolvers. It seems like there are various flasks that might have accompanied the 1851s as a whole. But did the U.S. navy navies have a specific one?Also looking to purchase an original nipple wrench as well. Can only locate repro or the ones that were produced in the 1970s.Thanks for the help,Mike

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Robin Rapley's book on Colt accoutrements will give you all the info you need on this subject.

Rio

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey Merrell02,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 4th generation 1851 Navy-Navy revolver? I thought there were only three generations.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 4th generation 1851 Navy-Navy revolver

He probably meant to say a Type 4. There are four basic variations of the 1st Generation 1851 Navy, such as squareback trigger guard, small oval trigger guard, large oval trigger guard, etc.

As to a Navy-Navy, these are the 1851s that where purchased for the U. S. Navy. There is also an Army-Navy, which are 1851s purchased for the U. S. Army.

As to the original question about the powder flask, the U. S. Military probably had a preference for combustible cartridges.

John Gross

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
These are fairly expensive. Is it worth getting? Someone said to find a second edition copy.

Rob
If you are into Colts, this book is a must have. I think around $100 is about as cheap as you're going to find them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Finding an original nipple wrench is going to very difficult! Those made for the 2nd Gen revolvers are very common and maybe confused with an original, even by a dealer who is no very familiar with Colt accessories. An "antiqued" 2nd Gen. nipple wrench can confuse most. Do a search for Colt antique revolvers and look at the dealers that come up; Shiloh Relics comes to mind... Give them a call and discuss your needs. I'm guessing someone will located one for you, given time. Just be sure to get some form of authenticity document proving the wrench is an orginal.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
merrell02: The best I can tell you on the nipple wrenches is they were made in three sizes, the medium size is for the Navy, it would be blued, un-marked and the longest arm (screw driver) is approx 3 1/8" long and the nipple end 1.39" in length. There were 2 design flasks associated with 51 Colt revolvers, however, I believe the 60 Army models sold to the Government were not supplied with flasks, only Civilian sales were. This could be true with the Navy Models also. The Government supplied the Cartridge Packets. A 1856 production Navy would use the brass bullet mold, early models had no sprue cutter, later brass with sprue cutter and after approx 1860 iron mold with sprue cutter and marked "36B" on side. Hope this info halps....Jim

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Try contacting Dean Wagstaff at Colt Part.com. Here's the link: http://www.coltparts.com/

Hope that helps.

Bud

I am looking for information on what type/design was on the powder flask that was issued with the 4th generation (1856) 1851 colt navy-navy revolvers. It seems like there are various flasks that might have accompanied the 1851s as a whole. But did the U.S. navy navies have a specific one?Also looking to purchase an original nipple wrench as well. Can only locate repro or the ones that were produced in the 1970s.Thanks for the help,Mike

·
Registered
552 Posts
For the illumination of one and all, Colt supplied powder flasks for all pistols sold under U.S. Military Contracts until 1856.
In 1856 the U.S. military establishment universally adopted paper cartridges for all of their small arms, which made powder flasks un-necessary. Powder flasks continued to be included in cased sets of civilian revolvers. However, not all of these flasks are Colt's with the Colt's Patent markings because the Colt flasks cost 2 to 3 times more than other flasks.
Bullet molds and nipple wrenches continued to be included with every Colt manufactured and sold.
An interesting sideline is that Colt, in anticipation of the US military adopting the paper cartridge, built a separate factory on the Colt property to manufacture paper cartridges. This enterprise accounted for as much as a third of Colt profits during the American Civil War.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts