Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my 1851 London Navy, 1855 production. Looks better in reality than in photographs--bluing much more vivid, case colouring more distinct. Does anyone know the significance of "C.A.M." on the butt? The explanation is likely not exciting. Perhaps a previous owner's initials?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Owner's initials.

Cheaper for a retailer to stamp, when hand engraving was more expensive - even by pennies.

'Many' retailers did have the name of their establishment engraved on the backstrap of their wares - I have a nickel Smith & Wesson 'Baby Russian' marked - 'F.T. Baker, 88 Fleet Street' - but I'm pretty certain that that shop was a 'full-service' one, complete with gunsmith and engraving services, while others may not have been.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspected nothing more than owner's initials. It was commonplace for manufacturers to engrave their name and address in the United Kingdom during this era.

I will have to check out what is at 88 Fleet Street now next time I am in London, hopefully next summer. There is a Barclay's Bank at 81 Fleet Street and I am there anytime I am in London.

Stay tuned for better photographs on a sunny day. These were taken indoors as it is a grey day today.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Henry Jermyn's Men's Clothing, Sutton and Robertson'e Pawn Shop, Mayday Room, and Woolwich PLC all are located there.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Henry Jermyn's Men's Clothing, Sutton and Robertson'e Pawn Shop, Mayday Room, and Woolwich PLC all are located there.
That sounds about right. Didn't know exactly what is at No 88, but all those retailers are in the general vicinity.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
As an aside, I've posted this before but for those who missed it and have an interest in the London guns - the doorway in the centre, above the hood of the red car, is 14 Pall Mall today.

Rio

P1080115A.jpg

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Very nice looking London Navy. Do you know what kind of wood the grips are made from? It looks different than American walnut.

Incidentally a shop near me has a London Navy with no finish, on consignment for around $3,000. I don't know if this is a reasonable price but yours looks nicer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts