Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up this Army and noticed some markings on the left side of the barrel near the forcing cone above and to the right of the wedge screw. The gun seems correct in all aspects, serial number matching on all parts including the wedge. I have not inspected the grips. It has all the inspection markings where they're suppose to be and the grips have very faint cartouches on both sides. On the other side of the barrel is a lazy W.

Getting back to the left side of the barrel. Viewing the barrel it looks like the markings are 63 or 83. But in the attached photo to me it looks like an SS.

This is the only 'spurious' markings I have found on the gun. Can anyone shed any light on these markings?

Thx

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Markings, such as these are quite common on Colt percussion pistols. In all probablity, the markings are factory inspection or assembly marks. They are not rare.
Thanks for replying. I looked at several articles on the web and none mentioned extra markings. I figured someone here would know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.