Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if serial number 2103XX would be a second generation, F1200 blackpowder series? Also, it has the W.L. Ormsby engraver stamp on the cylinder. Would 2nd gen have this?

Thanks, Colter

·
Registered
531 Posts
My Dennis Russell Collector's Handbook #2 indicates that the Model #F1200, with the Ormsby engraving, is a Second Generation gun and that it was made between November 1978 through November 1982 with Serial #s from 201000 through 211264 for a total production of 6,290.

Is that a long sentence or what?

Mac

·
Registered
531 Posts
Colter,
This particular Russel book only deals with what he identifies as Second Generation guns. I don't believe he considers the Signature Series to be Second Generation. I could be wrong. There is no mention of 1860s, in that serial # range, in this book.
Mac

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
Russell considers the Signature Series to be the Third Generation. His "Collector's Handbook #5" lists the various Signature Series models and years of introduction but no serial number information.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. yall. I ordered the 7th ed. of John B. Allens book yesterday. Maybe I can look something up for someone someday. How's that for a sentence?

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. I bought it. Big truck comes Wednesday. I am still confused tho. Happens often. All of the pictures I see of F1200, second gen Army's have pat Sept 10, 1850 stamped on the cylinder under the Colts patent stamp followed by the last 3 of the serial. This one has "Engraved by W.L. Ormsby New York where pat Sept 10, 1850 should be as do the 3rd gens. No x's, Mac, it's 210353 and has no signature on the back strap.

Suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dandak. Cased set with tools...flask, mold, wrench, cap tin. Walnut box, red velvet. How do you attach photos here?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Colter,
I have a nice story, in pdf form, about the modern Colt percussion guns. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send it your way.
Mac

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have two 2nd Generation 1860 Armies. One is blued in the 210000 range like yours, and the other stainless steel in the 212000 range. Both of mine have the 1850 patent date under the cylinder serial number, and the Ormsby signature on the front peripheral of the cylinder. If your Ormsby/patent date is reversed...dunno? As long as the numbers on the cylinder are matching and the correct style/font to the last three of your serial number, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just for the heck of it, pictured below are my blued and stainless 1860's :cool:

John Gross

Reactions: Chaffee

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2nd gen army

John,
Thanks for the pictures. Nice guns. Attached is a shot of the one I just bought. Will take delivery Tuesday. The seller sent me this shot. I reckon it's an aftermarket, non-Colt, box. He said un fired, unturned....

Like a Kid on Christmas eve

Attachments

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I reckon it's an aftermarket, non-Colt, box.

The standard display case for a 2nd Generation Percussion Colt will have the Rampant Colt on the inside of the lid (like the stainless steel Army pictured above in my previous post), and the Colt logo on the outside of the lid (pictured below). I see your flask has "Colt's Patent" on it. That's nice. If the mold has the patent stamp also that's even better. Second Generation 44 caliber molds are hard to find.

John Gross

·
Registered
320 Posts
Have one one the way as well, 1860 Black Box with all papers,serial number 203908.Will post the pics when the big truck arrives.

I had that PDF Mac and somehow lost it,I will PM you as well for a copy, if thats ok.
Dave

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thank you Mac! Perfect syntax!

While you have it open, What does Mr Russel say about a signature model Serial 219353?
Thanks
Unfortunately, the People who made the Signature Series guns did not publish any serial number information. I believe that this is because they had a running battle with Colt in Hartford over the number of guns made and royalties.
There was some serial number information that survived the demise of the Brooklyn manufacturing plant, but that info has not yet been published.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts