Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired two 1860 Army revolvers, one of which seems to have an issue I can't figure out. The gun seems pretty good mechanically (mfd. 1863), and all part numbers match (including the wedge), but I can't get the wedge to go completely through the assembled barrel and arbor pin. It goes through until it is about flush with the barrel on the backside and then stops tight. It goes through either piece when the pistol is disassembled, but it almost seems as if either 1) the arbor pin doesn't extend far enough from the frame to make the slots completely line up, or 2) there is some kind of problem in the arbor pin slot. On the side of the arbor pin slot closest to the frame, there is a deposit of metal that looks as if it may have been modified as part of the original fitting of the revolver. Hopefully the attached pictures will show what I mean.

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on, and how to correct it? Also, what is the best source for the missing wedge screw and a new wedge if I need to buy one?

Metal
Trigger Shotgun
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The arbor appears to have been shortened for some reason?? Measure the length of the arbor pin on both revolvers and see if the problem one is shorter than the other???.....Jim

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Jim. The arbor pins are the same length, and these two guns seem dimensionally identical. The misalignment in the slots may be an illusion, since the barrel slot in the ill-fitting gun actually extends 0.8mm farther toward the muzzle (it's slightly wider than the slot in the gun that fits correctly). It's almost as if the slot in the arbor needs to be extended just a bit to make this wedge work, but I can't believe Colt would have let it go from the factory that way.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dragoon -

Thanks again, it's looking much better now. Here are the pictures for the cut in the forcing cone and the matching flat on the top of the arbor pin (dark arrow-shaped area about an inch from the end).

Auto part Metal
Product Pipe Metal Cylinder

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure how much a side pic will show, but I will get you one. It's just that one little area that has been flattened, but the roundedness of the rest of the arbor is enough to to keep the arbor from sinking all the way into the barrel when the barrel is twisted to the side.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thats fine , I have learned a lot today. A smear of grease on the end of the arbor will transfer to the bottom of the arbor hole if there is contact. This would be a big help as well. Thank you so much.

Dragoon

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Dragoon -

Here's the pic attempting to show the flat on the arbor pin - it's really something you can feel rather than see, but the roundedness of the rest of the arbor at that location prevents full insertion of the arbor into the barrel at anything other than the correct angle. The flat is only about 1/4" long and 1/16" wide.

I also put a very thin layer of Vaseline on the end of the arbor and inserted it into the barrel, and saw evidence of a very small amount of Vaseline at the bottom of the hole, so I would say the depth is almost perfect, within a few thousandths.

Screw Cylinder

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.