Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbee to the percussion game and need some info. I recently bought an 1860 Colt Army model revolver and I'm wondering if the grip is supposed to have a different cartouche on each side of the grip. It was mfg. in 1863. The right grip mark is legible , while the mark on the left grip is barely legible but is good enough to see that it is slightly bigger and a different initial. I know that some 1860 Army revolvers had varnished grips but not all did. This one does. Can anyone advise me on this ? :bang_wall:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The cartouche on the right side appears to be "J T". It's kind of a scroll type of initial contained within a square border type mark.

***************************************************************************************************************
I checked this out and it is a 'J.T." John Taylor and the reason for different initials on each side of the grip is because the right grip shows initials of the head inspector and the left grip cartouche is from an assistant inspector.********* added this note since first post.*********

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
That is normal, I have a couple of 1873 SAA that have two different cartouches on the grips. I think that would apply to the 1860 Army as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.