Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally went out this morning to try out the 1860 Army conversion cylinder I purchased from Taylor’s. Here are some thoughts;

First off, the fact that I was shooting modern cartridges in an 1860 Army is awesome. I know there are plenty of conversion models that make it easier than using the conversion cylinder, but this was the first time I shot anything other than lead balls out of it.

The new cylinder dropped right into the gun without any gunsmithing or modification of any kind. I did notice that most of the .45 Colt I had was a bit too long for the cylinder and wouldn’t allow it to rotate, since it protruded out of the front. The only ammo I had on hand that worked was the Fiocchi flat nose 255 grain FMJ. It shot high, as expected, but once you learned the point of aim, it was easy to get used to.

Loading and unloading definitely took longer than having a typical loading gate, but compared to using cap & ball, it felt a lot faster. My only concern is the wedge and wedge spring wearing down faster now, but so far it’s still as snug as it was when I brought it home.

I’m happy to answer any questions you guys have!
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
145 Posts
Beautiful 1860!! The most beautiful revolver ever made, and the last testament to Colt's genius. I have an Uberti Mason Richards conversion revolver that I dearly love to shoot, but since it's chambered in .45 Colt (and a little overbuilt) it lacks the perfect balance of the 1860 Army. Which brings me to a question: How are you shooting .45 Colt through a .44 calibre gun? I would think it would have to have a .44-40 cylinder.
I'm guessing one has to dismantle the gun to reload it with the conversion cylinder. If I still had my 1860 Army I might consider it. Here's my Uberti. Revolver

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's been a long time (at least 30 years ago) that I purchased an 1860 Army replica from Cabela's. Shipped right to my front door, and cost $99.00 as I recall. Never paid much attention to what the diameter of the round balls were that I got for it. Only had it a year or two and seldom shot it. First time I fired it, it shot about 18 inches high at 20 feet. I hand fitted some additional brass that I soldered to the existing brass front sight, then filed it into a slightly V shaped bead. Lucky guess on my part as to the height. It was dead on after that. I remember going to my gun club and trying my hand at the IHMSA sighter targets with it. Rang all the chickens; not so many of the pigs. Ultimately, I just wasn't that much into the meticulous clean up involved with shooting black powder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts