Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know too much about Signature Series items (I collect 2nd generation), but I may have an opportunity to purchase this Signature Series 1860 Army Heirloom Edition revolver. It is 24 kt gold and silver plated, Tiffany style grips, and Nimschke engraving. Is this something worth getting? What would be a good price to offer?

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
These revolvers were a very limited production run right at the end of the 3rd Gen. production. My understanding is these revolvers were hand engraved and of the few I've seen, seem very nice although the proportions of the cast grips seems off. Dennis Russell listed the MSRP at $6000. I've seen one or two offered at $9000, though I doubt they ever sold for this amount.

My opinion is that if you can get a REALLY good deal, say a couple thousand, then go for it as the rarity of the revolver will possible make a good investment. However, I know that John Adams, Sr. of Adams & Adams Engravings can produce you a better quality copy based on a 2nd or 3rd Gen. Army for the same money and John is a recognized master engraver who worked for Colt and still does occassional contract work for the Custom Shop.

On a related note, VTI is now offering these cast grips from Uberti.......

Just my thoughts,

·
Registered
552 Posts
Do you know what the serial number of this gun is? I own a pair of them, one with serial No. 10, the other with serial No. 026
If the serial number of yours is either side of one of mine, maybe we could do a deal so that I could have a consecutively numbered pair.
As for price, I bought mine when Colt Blackpowder was closing out the remainders of their stock, and I paid about $2,000 for each gun-which was about wholesale for them. I know they did not make more than 30 of these pistols, and very few were sold at the original MSRP.
BTW, I have mine in a custom made rosewood French fit case lined with red velvet and green velvet trim. It contains a rosewood cleaning rod, silver plated flask and mold., and Ivory handled screw driver and nipple wrench. I would post a photo, except I am inept on computers and don't know how.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess not too many of these were sold. I haven't bought it, yet. Asking price is about $2700. Investment to me is just getting my money back in 5-10 years (or somewhere close to that). Do you think I will be able to do that if I bought this gun?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, forget my previous post. I went ahead and purchased it. Don't really need it, but it sort of looks gaudy and somewhat nice - if nothing else, it is 'different.'

Well, that takes care of the 3rd generation collection - with the Paterson, and now this, I think I covered the two top guns. Never thought I would venture beyond the 2nd generation - and these two somewhat cut into my goal of only having 15-20 guns. Either way, I'll see what needs to be cut. I have attached some pictures.
---------------------------
Steg, serial number 012.

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Shotgun Firearm Gun Trigger Shotgun Air gun Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Shotgun Coin Metal Silver Fashion accessory Antique

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Mine are numberd BJ1 and BJ2. Obviously custom numbers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gunner5, you may have one more revolver to add to the collection if you want to round out your 3rd Gen. collection and it's a rare one!

Check on Gunbroker for a current offering for the 150th Anniversary 1851 Navy revolver. The Gunbroker offering is $2750. It's my understanding that these revolvers were made on commission only and all may have the initials of the buyer engraved on the frame. Basically, hand engraved, bright blue barrel, wedge, frame, etc. and gold plating on cylinder, hammer, etc. Included hand carved ivory stocks. Again, these were a very limited edition and apparently didn't sell well as the MSRP was a around $5000. I've been told the total production may have been under 20 units.

Good luck!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LolstNAK, you really tempt me. For a second I thought I had done well getting the other two (Paterson and the Heirloom edition) and now another one pops up. I don't know if the bank can continue to support this venture.

I am a little bit unsure of the Signature Series. It seems the majority who visit the Forum either collect the originals or the 2nd generation. I don't see a lot of action in the 3rd generation. Would my $2750 be better spent on a cased 2nd generation, or would this limited edition be a better choice? I am getting somewhat older and somewhat concerned if a 3rd generation will sell as well as a 2nd generation.

·
Registered
552 Posts
LolstNAK, you really tempt me. For a second I thought I had done well getting the other two (Paterson and the Heirloom edition) and now another one pops up. I don't know if the bank can continue to support this venture.

I am a little bit unsure of the Signature Series. It seems the majority who visit the Forum either collect the originals or the 2nd generation. I don't see a lot of action in the 3rd generation. Would my $2750 be better spent on a cased 2nd generation, or would this limited edition be a better choice? I am getting somewhat older and somewhat concerned if a 3rd generation will sell as well as a 2nd generation.
I collect all 3 generations of Colt percussion revolvers. I can assure you that if you get the 3rd gen. Navy at that price, you, or your heirs will not lose money when it is sold in the future. In all probability it will retain its value more than an unengraved, plain cased 2nd gen. Colt. That particular Colt is not just rare, it is a work of art....I know, I have one!
As for other 3rd gen. Colts....you all better get them while they are still cheap. Their prices have significantly risen since production stopped 12 years ago. And, nay-sayers aside, they are real Colts. If you believe the nay-sayers standards that only Colts made in Hartford are real Colts, then neither the Paterson Colts or the original Walkers are not "real Colts".

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steg, I took your advice. I hope you are right, since this one broke the bank (and I still have that 1861 Navy SS to buy next month).

LostNak, no more surprises, ok? And now there are three (Paterson, Heirloom, and the 150th Anniversary). This should take care of the 3rd Generation models.

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun accessory Firearm Gun Trigger Shotgun Air gun Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
59 Posts
No more surprises in 3rd Gen. Colts?????? I assume you have the 150th Ann. Walker, the silver plated 61 Navy Custer edition (likely a prototype), and the strange 49 Pocket limited editions (more than one variation) that never made production, but several were found in left over stock after production ended. And as you are dreaming of the 61 Navy SS at RIA, check out the one-off editions of 2nd Gen. Colts from the Custom Shop. Surprises continue unabated! These are what making collecting Colts so interesting....and expensive.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok LostNAK, you win. There will always be something else around the corner. But, for now, I am done with the 3rd generation - and need to get back to the 2nd generation for my two final guns: 1861 Navy SS and the Conquistadores del Cielo. After that I'll concentrate on casing those that aren't cased and building some display shelving.

By the way, you indicated that you were getting some single spout flasks from Paterson Accessories. Steve informed me those weren't his standard items and he could fabricate for 260 GBP and the Ehler's wrench for 135 GBP. Is that about right?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Received my 1851 Navy, today. Though LostNAK put me on the trail, I am glad I took your advice, Steg, to purchase that 1851 Navy - 150th Anniversary. It is a beautiful gun. Even my wife likes it (though she still doesn't understand why we are spending so much money on this hobby). Now I am definitely done with the 3rd generation series - I don't really see how I can beat the 3 I was able to find last month.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Gunner 5: With due respect, I will be bidding against you for the SS '61. This gun belonged to a good friend of mine, the late Jerry Bowe. Be prepared to go well into 5 figures to out-bid me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the 'heads-up,' Steg. That is why it is an auction - it is free game to all. My bid has been in since the auction opened. I am already well into the 5 figures (when it goes into 6 figures, I am out). I hope when this is over one of us (or someone else) can say it was worth it. I think for the price that this one will be going for, except if for sentimental reasons, the person who wins this one, on later sale, will never be able to recoup a portion of what will be spent on buying this. Since this is the last gun I need to complete my collecting goal, this will be a max effort for me. Good luck to you (actually heaven help us all for all the money we will be throwing against this one when there are so many other 'one-of-a kind' in that collection).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts