Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a conversion . Now I need a value to see if I paid to much .S# 196001 gun looks good but no address on barrel . ? All matching numbers . Not the wedge . Gun has not been refinish . How can you tell if it is a factory conversion or other.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Your revolver demonstrates a fair amount of pitting and grips were either replaced or refinished. This hurts value. Having said that, any conversion is desirable. I could assign an arbitrary value to this, which is probably somewhat close to what it's worth. However, how about mentioning what this cost you and we can provide a more generalized answer as to if too much, about right, or a bargain.

You could also research on the internet prices realized (not asking prices) and see what revolvers similar to yours might have sold for.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Okay. $1550 is good. Right on the money! I didn't want to insult you, so that's why I worded my original response as such. I had thought that, because you worded your original post that way, that you spent $4,000 or more on it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your info and all the input , I just got back into the Single AA and the 1860 I have had but not the conversion . So I will be on here more and hope to show more .I have a Colt open Top 22 in gunbroker Penny Auction 9 hours left and it has only got up to $171.00 Nice gun so if any of you guys looking for one bid soon I would like to see a real colt guy get a deal . I hope this is ok Gunbroker item #711079565

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Definitely a factory conversion, Richards Type II.

Also referred to as a, "Transition" model. I think 1860 Colt conversions are so cool. I am amazed that there is not more desire in collecting all of the different Colt conversions. When you think about it, they are some of the rarest Colts.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Those were the Colts that made the cattle drives, saw the cowtowns, fought Indians and bandits, forded the swollen streams, and were scorched by the sun out on the llano Estacado - real-deal' cowboy' revolvers.

That no one seems to want to collect them may lie in the fact that many look 'ungainly' or 'made up of parts' when compared to straight Model 1860s and 1873s - that, and they're quite often rather trail-worn from those years of hard use, and folks like 'pretty' more than 'seasoned'.

There are bargains to be had though, and they're Honest-to-God 'cowboy' - so Good Hunting!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I think the Colt conversion was the real gun of the wild, wild, west where their was little law and order, and that Hollywood made the SAA the star of the old west movie's, I only have two Colt SAA 45's and they do feel better in my small hand then the conversion does, I have one conversion and some time's when I look at it I think about trading it in on another SAA, but then I think about the history of the real wild west when the cowboy was the law before the SAA and all the lawmen we all read about showed up to tame the wild west.
Here's a few pic's of my old conversion, it look's bad but the action is still tight. I like it again. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hi There,

I think the Colt conversion was the real gun of the wild, wild, west where their was little law and order, and that Hollywood made the SAA the star of the old west movie's, ...
Would the 5-in-1 blanks fit an authentic conversion
(or 1872 open top)?

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have one is grey condition with a replacement ejector button. It was brought back from Mexico in 1968. It saw hard use but looks like it was cared for. The bore is remarkably good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts