Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
You should pass on this gun. Too much wrong with it. I'd say you would do better at at a gun show, but there are no gun shows due to Covid. So, you can/should pay even less than at a show by buying at auction instead. Dealers buy at auctions, then they sell to the public. Buy at auction, and cut out the middleman.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Rock Island and Cowan's in the Midwest, Morphy in Pennsylvania, and Poulin and Skinners in the Northeast (and Skinner is next door to you, with auctions in Marlborough and Boston). See what they offer, take your time, check the photos, ask them additional information, then come ask for opinions here on this forum, and then pull the trigger on a very nice gun for much less than an antique gun dealer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It will definitely take a bit of work, and one has to be patient, and the gun won't be an "amazing" gun, but I think it can be quite a nice one, and certainly better than the one Mattmatt61720 showed us.

As cloverleaf perhaps hinted at, I would recommend upping the finance part to between $1,500 - $2,000, to snag a really nice gun that otherwise would cost almost double that from a dealer.

Here's an example of an auction 1860 Army (mf'd in 1862, so middle of the CW) which sold at Rock Island, "all in" at $1,035:

And here's quite a nice one from Skinner, which sold for $1,476:

Here's another one from Skinner at $1,230:

Here's yet another one from Skinner at $1,230:

I guess what I mean to say is, this is definitely doable. You don't need to buy a wreck from a dealer, if you can find a nice gun at auction.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn’t even realize it was a dealer. I’ll up my finances and look into it. You guys are smart, handsome and probably have the bodies of a Greek god... thanks for the info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts