Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1861 Navy made in 1864, that has a .41 colt cartridge conversion. Is anyone familiar with a conversion in this caliber.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This could not be a Colt conversion. I do think that the actual measurement of the .41 Colt cartridge is about .38 caliber, which is about right for a conversion of a Colt Navy percussion revolver.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
"have a 1861 Navy made in 1864, that has a .41 colt cartridge conversion"
A conversion to 41 Colt would require extensive work including a rebore of barrel. Please post pictures.
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"have a 1861 Navy made in 1864, that has a .41 colt cartridge conversion"
A conversion to 41 Colt would require extensive work including a rebore of barrel. Please post pictures.
Jim
I will post a picture when I get to the gun shop on Monday, But from the research I have read from old issues of American Handgunner, it simply requires boring the forcing cone. The lead cast .41 is .386 diameter and within tolerance of the 1861 barrel which is basically .38 cal. Colt also did a .38 conversion using factory barrel. I have seen this gun shoot the .41 colt .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will post a picture when I get to the gun shop on Monday, But from the research I have read from old issues of American Handgunner, it simply requires boring the forcing cone. The lead cast .41 is .386 diameter and within tolerance of the 1861 barrel which is basically .38 cal. Colt also did a .38 conversion using factory barrel. I have seen this gun shoot the .41 colt .
I’ve just never seen one before this one.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
My first post was to quick a response, the bore on for a 36 caliber 1851 is .378 and the 41 is .386. So the bullet would be swaged down .008. Definitely possible but would probably not want to use smokeless powder 41 ammo. Also, if memory serves me correctly, Colt did make a small number of 1851's in 40 caliber for the Navy.

Jim

·
Registered
495 Posts
Also, if memory serves me correctly, Colt did make a small number of 1851's in 40 caliber for the Navy.
IIRC, there were only 2-3 of these made as prototypes around 1858-59 when Colt was trying to come up with a larger caliber belt pistol, which ultimately resulted in the 1860 Army Model. I believe at least one of these are in the Connecticut State Museum, although I cannot remember the reference source at this time.

Regards,

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts