Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I purchased a Custom Shop 2nd Generation 1862 Police Revolver in bright nickel with ivory grips. I decided to have a custom case made for it in what's known as a pipe style, due to the resemblance of an actual case to transport your pipe.

Revolver pipe cases were somewhat popular in the 1850 to 1900+ time frame, mostly seen with European revolvers though R.L. Wilson does picture one for a Colt 1849 Pocket Model in one of his books. I guess it was a discrete way to carry your gun as people would think it was a pipe, albeit a rather large one :)

The first picture below is my revolver and case, and the other photos are taken from the net showing original antique pipe style cases for revolvers.

John Gross

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
John, that's a lovely revolver and case. I didn't know you could still order Colt blackpowder guns. I'm way out of the loop. That thing looks amazing. Who made the case? Maybe I should have one made for my snubnose. I've thought about giving this one a high polish and having it nickel plated.
This is a Cimarron:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, that's a lovely revolver and case. I didn't know you could still order Colt blackpowder guns. I'm way out of the loop. That thing looks amazing. Who made the case? Maybe I should have one made for my snubnose. I've thought about giving this one a high polish and having it nickel plated.
This is a Cimarron:

twaits,

Sorry, I should have said I bought a LNIB Colt 1862 Police. The polished nickel finish w/ivory was offered by the Custom Shop in the early 1980s. A few more photos of the revolver are below.

The case was by Todd Ritenhouse at handmade display cases, jewelry boxes. custom gun rack, display stands. (but be advised the price is not for the faint of heart :rolleyes:). I had the exterior of the case covered in leather as that's the way most originals are, and this accounted for 1/3 of the price. So you could forgo the leather and just have the wood nicely finished to save money.

John Gross

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Thanks John. That gun is just beautiful. I tried to win a custom shop nickel plated Colt 3rd model Dragoon with ivory grips at the Poulin Auction a while back. Never saw anything like it and from what I have heard Colt didn't turn too many of them out like that. I can't remember what it went for but I remember thinking "I should have bid higher"

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Charlene just informed me that nickel Dragoon was one of only 20 made. Really should have bought it.

I bought my nickel Police from forum member scorpi0. He also had one of the bright nickel/ivory Dragoons you are interested in. You might contact him to see if he still has it. View Profile: scorpi0 - Colt Forum

John Gross

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.