Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Please forgive the etiquette infraction of posting on the Colt board- but I'm a member here and not on a Winchester forum. I know there are plenty of Winchester experts here so hope a few will chime in with opinions. Thinking of branching the collection into Winchester and the following two guns are interesting to me. They look to me like honest guns and considering purchase in the $1500 range for each. Would you buy one or both of these for that price?

GOT EM

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hi,
Please forgive the etiquette infraction of posting on the Colt board- but I'm a member here and not on a Winchester forum. I know there are plenty of Winchester experts here so hope a few will chime in with opinions. Thinking of branching the collection into Winchester and the following two guns are interesting to me. They look to me like honest guns and considering purchase in the $1500 range for each. Would you buy one or both of these for that price?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Personally, just for the sake of tradition...I would get the first one with the full-length magazine.
The 1/2 magazine gun might be of more interest to collectors though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally, just for the sake of tradition...I would get the first one with the full-length magazine.
The 1/2 magazine gun might be of more interest to collectors though.
Hi Mark,
Thanks. I agree, I much prefer the looks of the full magazine (and who wants LESS bullets). So would you say $1500 is a fair price for either? A good deal? From what I've seen $1000 barely buys a relic and these seem "above average"?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I vote for the first one too, although if I was in your position I’d get them both.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your pics are not really good enough to judge.
$1500 for any decent '73 is not high
Hi Cloverleaf,
Thanks. Yes, those are the best I could get from the seller. A little zoom helps but I hope the lack of light is not hiding anything serious. I'm thinking I can't go too far wrong at that price (but I've been wrong before).

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
My two cents...They're both antiques and in the most desirable caliber. $1,500 for one of them is a very fair price. If I had to choose just one, the distinguishing factors for me would be (1) the condition of the wood (whether it was sanded, any crack, splits, chips, dings, etc) (2) the condition of the bore, and (3) whether the sights are original. You certainly wouldn't lose any money with either of these and you can still shoot them at the range. I would try to acquire both at a slightly lower combined price, say $2,600-$2,800. I think $1,500 is a collector-to-collector price (i.e., below retail). Greg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My two cents...They're both antiques and in the most desirable caliber. $1,500 for one of them is a very fair price. If I had to choose just one, the distinguishing factors for me would be (1) the condition of the wood (whether it was sanded, any crack, splits, chips, dings, etc) (2) the condition of the bore, and (3) whether the sights are original. You certainly wouldn't lose any money with either of these and you can still shoot them at the range. I would try to acquire both at a slightly lower combined price, say $2,600-$2,800. I think $1,500 is a collector-to-collector price (i.e., below retail). Greg
Hi Greg,
Thanks. Your two cents are worth a lot of dollars to me- so most appreciated. I don't think I can get that low but will give it a try.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hi Cloverleaf,
Thanks. Yes, those are the best I could get from the seller. A little zoom helps but I hope the lack of light is not hiding anything serious. I'm thinking I can't go too far wrong at that price (but I've been wrong before).
I am not an expert by any means but $1500 seems like a fair price for either of them. Like hornsfan said...if you can get them both for under $3000 that would be worth exploring.
Just for reference, I paid a little under $1000 for this one:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts